BG tennis to host Cleveland State, travel to IUPUI and Butler

Tennis team sweeps weekend with a trio of 7-0 wins

After splitting a pair of matches in Kentucky last weekend, the tennis team will have its first home match of the spring season on Friday before hitting the road again for two more in Indianapolis.

The team is set to play the Cleveland State Vikings at home, challenge the IUPUI Jaguars on Saturday and finish up against the Butler University Bulldogs on Sunday.

The Falcons remain undefeated in each of the teams’ all-time series, with a 5-0 lead over the Vikings, 2-0 over the Jaguars and 13-0 over the Bulldogs

According to head coach Penny Dean, the lofty schedule is not getting to the team, though scheduling the matches can be a bit hectic for the coach.

“I think they are up to the challenge,” Dean said. “They’re just road warriors. They know they’re going to be on the road almost the whole year, and they’re mentally prepared for it.”

Sophomore Maddy Eccleston said the weekend will take its toll on the team members’ bodies, but it won’t be felt until the matches are over and the team returns to practice.

In the meantime, the team is preparing for Friday’s match against the Vikings at the Perrysburg Tennis Center, which Dean said provides the team with the familiarity of their tennis facilities and fans.

“It’s one of our very few home matches, so we have to take advantage of it,” Dean said.

Both Dean and Eccleston have sensed a Falcon/Viking rivalry developing from watching each other at tournaments from the fall, as well as the team’s close skills.

“They’re very strong players, and they’re solid all the way down their lineup,” Dean said.

Eccleston added that the familiarity with the team should help in the match.

“We know the team pretty well, and know about almost every girl and how they play,” Eccleston said. “I think we’re anticipating a pretty good match.”

Both team’s previous weekends mirror each other in scores, with the Vikings beating Duquesne 6-1 and losing 7-0 to Ohio State. Conversely, the Falcons lost 7-0 to Louisville before defeating West Virginia 6-1.

The team’s next match will reunite the team with Cameron Currie, a four-time letter winner for the Falcons from 2001-2005, as the head coach for the Jaguars.

“Because she played for me, we’re close, we probably know what each other is thinking all the time,” Dean said. “We respect each other and I’m really proud of her for getting a head coaching job at such a young age.”

The Falcons are not as familiar with the Bulldogs, as the teams did not compete against each other last year. While the Falcons have defeated the Bulldogs seven years in a row, the break can still affect the team.

Dean cites the changes that happen to each team from year-to-year, and Eccleston did not have the opportunity to play against Butler.

“It’s kind of a challenge,” Eccleston said. “We have to be ready for any kind of game.”