Greenhouse offers more than plants

The Biology Greenhouse offers four different “houses” and sections of flower types.

On the north end of campus lies one of the University’s many gems. The Biology Greenhouse, run by horticulturist Frank Schemenauer, has more to offer than one might think. Open to the public since 1968, there are four “houses” in the facility. Two of these are used for research and class projects, and the other two are home to the teaching collections. These collections include a desert area showcasing a collection of succulents and a tropical floor planting featuring an orchid assortment.

Since its opening in the late 1960s, the greenhouse has undergone renovations to make it more efficient while still maintaining the original structure, marrying both newer climate technology and manual methods.

Schemenauer has been working at the greenhouse for eight years since taking over for horticulturist Joe Baker. Baker served the campus for over 30 years and is credited with the acquisition and maintenance of the majority of the existing collection. After taking over in 2008, Schemenauer has worked to expand the collection to enhance the variety of species. Plants such as the Darwin Orchid, large cycads or “living fossils” and the bonsai collection are just a few of the many unique things found inside.

“It’s a constant job to maintain, re-pot and rejuvenate all of the plants as time goes on.” Schemenauer said.

Although the greenhouse space may seem small, 45 families of plants and many species within those families are represented. The combination of these different plants makes for a very diverse greenhouse experience. Among these are tropical plants as well as domestic and commercially important varieties such as coffee, pineapples and various kitchen herbs.

The greenhouse staff also strives to create a non-toxic environment. They achieve this by releasing beneficial insects instead of spraying traditional pesticides. Insects such as predatory mites, lace-wing larva, lady beetles, praying mantises and other predatory insects help keep the pest populations down without leaving chemical residues which may harm the plants and the people who visit. In addition, they add beneficial nematodes to the soil to help keep pest populations at bay.

Schemenauer said that the results in pest control are similar to pesticide results. However, the greenhouse does not experience any of the negative side effects associated with chemicals, helping to keep the ecosystem in check.

One of the opportunities presented with a greenhouse on the campus is the ability to interact with classes of all subjects. Tours are available for any group, from pre-school students to adults, during regular greenhouse hours. Classes can tour the greenhouses to learn about different biomes and habitats represented in the teaching collections. There are labs for soil testing as well as student and group projects that help students succeed and grow in various classes.

“It’s an intangible thing that is brought to the learning experience by this tactile sense of actually being able to examine a plant in person as opposed to seeing it in a book. It is an invaluable thing that we offer here,” Schemenauer said.

The greenhouse is always accepting volunteers, and various on-campus groups provide even more opportunities. The recently founded Green Thumbs Society meets every other Tuesday and offers members a chance to work in the greenhouse and gain knowledge about a variety of plant related topics. Another organization, the Environmental Service Club, volunteers once or twice a week to help keep the greenhouse running smoothly.

In addition to volunteering, students may utilize the research portions of the facility for a number of classes. Projects with plants such as GMO corn, lupines and flowering rush have all helped shape the greenhouse into a useful research and teaching facility.

Hayley Ruff, a student researcher, said that after working in the greenhouse for her BIO 2050 class, she enjoyed it so much she came back to learn more about their carnivorous plant collection. She enjoyed working with Schemenauer and hopes that other students can benefit from the facilities as well.

“Nature is all around us. Even if your major isn’t science based, there are still opportunities to study and to learn more about plants,” Ruff said.

As the greenhouse continues to move forward, they hope to add and develop even more plants in the years to come. There is even a plan to flower a vanilla orchid which will eventually produce vanilla beans.

Visitation hours for this semester are weekdays 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. However, hours are subject to change by semester. To confirm visiting hours or for more information, the greenhouse can be reached at 419-372-2375.