Local business participates in national ‘Meat Out!’

Squeaker’s Vegetarian Café and Health Food Store is taking part in the nationally recognized, “Great American Meat Out!” this Saturday. They ask that people “kick the meat habit and explore a wholesome, nonviolent plant-based diet” for this annual grassroots diet education campaign.

The “Meatout” committee says that, “Every one percent drop in US meat consumption prevents the agony and death of 100 million animals per year, far more than the number abused and killed by laboratories, hunters or pounds.”

“The Great American Meat Out!” began in the United States as well as 20 other countries in March of 1985. Sponsored by the Farm Animal Reform Movement, a non-profit public interest organization, the “Meatout” is promoting the idea that the most effective way to reduce animal suffering is to encourage people to use meatless products and show the benefits of plant-based dieting. One of the their main goals is to promote the availability of alternatives in grocery stores and restaurants.

Squeaker’s Café is located on 175 N. Main St. Owner’s Heather Andrè and Jay Kershner are the organizers of this non-profit event. This is the fourth annual “Meatout” provided by Squeaker’s, and March 20 is the official day of the “Meatout,” which signifies a fresh start Andrè said.

This year the event will have several display tables that will provide information. Squeaker’s will be handing out vegetarian starter kits and bargains on items in the store. Sarah Rudy, the author of “Benji Bean Sprout Doesn’t Eat Meat!” will be there to support the cause.

Sqeaker’s is the only vegetarian café in the area. Andrè, who is vegan because of animal rights, believes that Northwest Ohio is not familiar with the cause and that this event will raise the awareness of what the “Meatout” organization stands for.

The “Meatout” reflects several national trends according to www.meatout.org: Mainstream Health advocacy organizations, 30 million Americans who support the meatless diet, national beef and veal consumption dropped by 75 percent, the major manufactures and retailers that are marketing meat and dairy-free meals, national fast-food companies who are offering meatless alternatives.

The group is now trying to promote “Meatout Mondays,” for people who sign up at their website in order to encourage people avoid meat in addition to the event, also to keep people practicing this belief throughout the year.

Vegan is becoming more popular, and people are becoming very involved in the campaign. A few outspoken celebrities are members as well, including Bill Maher, Joaquin Phoenix, Jennie Garth, Alicia Silverstone and Mary Tyler Moore.

“The Great American Meat Out!” takes place at Squeaker’s on Saturday from 12-5 p.m. “Go meat-free just for a day or longer- do it for your family, yourself, the animals and the environment,” Andrè said.