BG News Briefing: Apr. 28, 2005

Annual CRU flag event underway

Seeking to capture the attention of overworked students who are preparing for exams next week, CRU will be hosting a campus wide game of capture the flag this Saturday.

Meghan Thatcher, a member of CRU’s leadership committee, cheered on the game’s idea as a welcome break for all students.

“It should be a good stress reliever for students studying for finals,” Thatcher said.

Registration for participants in the event has been taking place this week in the Union, where the teams will be gathering before the game this Saturday at 11:00 a.m.

There are 18 captains and four teams that will be participating, said Kyle Swank, a member of CRU helping register players. He said that they have been busy filling open slots with students anxious to get their minds off of their end of the year course work.

Players can request to be in a group with friends, or sign up to be randomly assigned to one of the teams on the day of the event. Groups have already started to form among different residence halls and campus groups.

With boundaries encompassing nearly the entire University, the game will be judged by volunteers from CRU. The victorious team will be awarded T-shirts provided by the organization, but everyone who plays will get free food provided at a cook out following the game at 2 p.m.

“We’re expecting 200 people to come out,” Thatcher said, which is nearly double the number of players who took part in the match organized last year.

This is the third year CRU has coordinated a capture the flag game. The group opens the event to everyone on campus in the hopes of bringing students together.

Sign ups will continue in the Union during the event.