Indians’ lineup promises success

Why is chief Wahoo smiling again?

It’s because the Indians’ rebuilding has finally come to a halt.

This is the first time since 2000 the Indians are looked at as serious contenders in the American League Central.

This off-season for the Indians has brought a talented competition between two shortstops, the signing of an ace pitcher, signing of a former Indian vet and the return on Aaron Boone.

The Indians’ lineup has become the best hitting team in the American League Central. The development of some of the younger players like Travis Hafner has boosted this lineup. Also the veteran signings like Juan Gonzalez add to the talent level.

Mark Shapiro has quietly built one of the deepest team’s in major league baseball.

The Achilles heel of the Indians last year was the bullpen and they eliminated that problem in the off-season. They traded for hard throwing left-handed Arthur Rhodes and added Scott Sauerbeck. Shapiro also added some key role players in the off-season to bolster the bench.

Looking at the projected starters for today’s game with the White Sox, the Indians have developed a team that can contend in October.

Coco Crisp has the speed and athleticism that should create opportunities for the offense.

Aaron Boone will provide consistent offense in the two spot and will add stability to third base.

Travis Hafner has the power to hit 40 or more homeruns and will occasionally play first.

Victor Martinez is the best catching prospect in the majors, and provides consistent RBIs that will help the Indians offense.

Ryan Ludwick is a great prospect that has excellent defense, filling in for the hurt Juan Gonzalez.

Ben Broussard is a capable gold glove at first and should have a career year if he stays healthy.

Casey Blake had a career year last season and looks to make a name for himself this year in left field.

Ronnie Belliard was a surprising All-star selection last season, and he will continue to add power to the lineup.

Johnny Peralta will replace Omar Vizquel on the offensive side and has the potential to do it on defense as well.

The Indians also have great bench players in Grady Sizemore, Juan Gonzalez, Jose Hernandez and Josh Bard.

The pitching rotation is also very solid.

C.C Sabathia is as good as an ace as you can have. He’s a big left-hander and has a wicked fastball.

Kevin Millwood may be the steal of the off-season if he performs to his level.

Cliff Lee has some great stuff but needs to overcome injury problems.

Jake Westbrook is a very consistent pitcher, and he should take over for Sabathia at the number one slot until C.C is healthy.

Scott Elarton had struggles early last season but developed into a solid starter.

The Indians are on the rise. General manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge have developed a solid team that will perform for the whole season. The Indians have depth and a solid pitching staff. They have the chance to contend with the Twins for the Central Crown. In my opinion Cleveland Indians fans should plan for some cold games in October.