Shyness can be a good quality

I’ve decided to dedicate this week’s column to an indelible personality trait of mine that is looked down upon by society: shyness. Outgoing people claim they would never want to be shy, while quiet people wish they were less shy. But why, though? There’s a plethora of positives about being shy that the world does not recognize, and I will use this column to point them out.

Before I do that, however, some of you may be wondering how I claim to be shy when I express my opinions every week in the paper. You may even think I am completely bluffing if you have read my political columns. This is because I am perfectly comfortable expressing myself through paper, e-mail or any other written form. When it comes to talking in person, I am one of the quietest people you’ll meet until you really get to know me.

I’m the girl who is more comfortable going to the professor’s office than asking questions in class. I’m the girl who never sings on karaoke night because I can’t handle performing in front of even the smallest crowd.

I’m the girl who brings solitude to her group of friends who are clearly outgoing and wacky.

I’m not going to give you a run down of ways we shy people can overcome it. We have all heard that before and frankly, I do not think shy people necessarily need to overcome it.

Look at it this way. At least we’ll never have to worry about annoying the crap out of anyone from talking too much. I have run into some people who seem to talk just for the sake of talking. They are so outgoing that they’re unhappy keeping quiet, and the more they talk, the less interested people become.

On the other hand, when shy people talk, it is more likely to be important. We are not normally aggressive when we speak, and we are less likely to make enemies than people more lenient on dishing out every thought.

We likely will not have to worry about being that one person in class who incessantly asks the most ridiculous questions just to suck up, and draws the professor way off topic.

I’ve had those people in my classes, and I’ve heard my friends talk about having them in class. Trust me, shy students should be thankful for not having to worry about being that one person.

Friends of shy people are obviously true and like them for who they are. It might be hard to get to know us, and we are less likely to put up a farce to gain people’s friendship. Instead of having a million acquaintances, we are more likely to have a group of close friends.

People might be less likely to get upset with us for interrupting too. When someone else is talking, I try to keep quiet until they are finished to comprehend their statement, and then inject my thoughts.

I’m quiet mainly because I do more thinking than talking. I think about the situation at hand, and consider how to make my statement before I talk. There have been many times when talkative people have said things to me and it was clearly obvious they did not know what they were talking about, or did not think about how to say it beforehand.

I’ve also realized that despite the fact that shy people can be mistaken for snobby or aloof, there is really no reason not to like us. Since we spend most of our time listening instead of talking, we are less likely to say nasty things or offend someone.

So we really have a lot more going for us than we probably realize. When I was little, people used to think it was cute that I was shy; however, once I started growing older, most people tell me I need to get over my shyness.

What is it with this getting over shyness thing?

I’ve never heard anyone point to examples similar to the ones I mentioned and tell talkative people to get over it.

Personally, I don’t think I need to get over it because I’m doing great as I am. I’m about to graduate college and go into the journalism field and I have lots of family and friends that love me. I could never move back home, and I wince at the thought of depending on anyone to help me with problems.

Getting over it?

Nah, that would be backtracking for me.

Send comments to Nicole at [email protected].