Starbucks celebrates opening

The hiss of espresso machines and the clamor of coffee grinders rung in the first day of business for the now open Starbucks coffee store in the Union.

The business unlocked its gates for the first time at 8 a.m. yesterday to a waiting crowd of students and University employees. The store’s first customer, Freshman Alex Husarek, ordered a caramel macchiato, a drink distinctly different from the other offerings available within a convenient distance from his work in the Union.

“I don’t like the other coffee here,” Husarek said.

He’s not alone. According to a survey by Dining Services, which ushered in the Seattle-based coffee powerhouse to take the place of the Carnation Café, students and faculty were anxious to have a branded coffee offering.

Their blended drinks aren’t the only mix this Starbucks location is getting involved with by moving into Bowling Green. The business is entering a competitive market which features a number of local coffee houses as well as another Starbucks presence located inside Kroger.

In spite of their well anchored competition the trademark green straws and cups emblazoned with mermaid logos made the brand’s presence known throughout both offices and classes yesterday, a sight welcomed by University Dining Services who expect the licensed location to take in as much as $10,000 a week once the store has been in operation for a full semester.

“We’ve been looking forward to the opening,” Dining Services Director Gail Finan said.

Dining Services had originally hoped to open the store by fall break 2004, but then had to change plans — hoping to open in March. When construction was still underway, the new deadline was set for this week.

Dining Services paid a fee to license the Starbucks brand, meaning this location is not a company-owned shop.

The University controls all of the equipment and is in charge of hiring for the store. They have placed two classified employees as well as a number of student workers as baristas at the location.

Training was conducted last week by corporate operations specialists sent by Starbucks.

“We’re ready for customers,” said Todd Shayler, who will be serving as the food service coordinator for the site.

While the grand opening ceremony won’t be held until fall semester, the location will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. through 7 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. through 7 p.m. Sunday through summer semester.