Unique challenges found online

With the advancing technology in colleges across the country, students are able to take exams in their pajamas, while sitting at home.

Because of the comfortable environment, students may find it easier to take the class online.

Connie Molnar, director of distance learning, disagrees with students finding it easier.

“There might be a perception that online courses are easier,” she said. “[But] it will offer more opportunities for students that can’t get to campus. If you work in Archibald and you have two kids, just take a course online.”

Kristen Stone is one of many students enrolled in online courses. As an accounting major with a 40-hour per week internship, she is able to get her work done when she can, courtesy of the classes’ flexible schedules. Stone said the classes are easier because they’re online and she only has one assignment each week.

Blackboard, a MyBGSU service, provides information on assignments, discussions and exams. Students can also e-mail the instructor to get in touch with them.

Instructors do a lot of preparing when it comes to online classes, even though it is similar to setting a lesson plan. The instructor includes all reading materials, assignments and exams on Blackboard. The instructor sets up all assignment due dates in advance according to the class’s syllabus — also available online.

According to Molnar, readings can be time consuming for some students. If they have any questions or problems, this is where the discussion board kicks into action.

The discussion board acts as the two-way communication portal between the instructor and the students–as well as between students and their peers.

“Well for my one class, we read an article and discuss whether we agree or disagree,” Stone said. “The other, he gives us questions to answer.”

Instructors can format their online exams however they see fit — multiple choice, true/false and essay questions are all choices, just like a regular exam, Molnar said. The exams are scheduled at a certain day and time for the students to take it.

“Most of them allow you to take it open book, not that they could stop you,” Stone said. “The bad thing is that if your computer screws up during the exam, you can’t get back to it, and then you have to get a hold of the prof so they can fix it and you can retake it.”

But in order for instructors to use Blackboard, they are strongly encouraged to attend Interactive Distance Education for all Learners (IDEAL) classes. The instructors train to learn how to use video, PowerPoint and interactive activities in the IDEAL classes.

The online classes are more of a visual learning environment rather than scribbling down notes in a lecture classroom.

“It may not work for everyone. You have to be motivated and self-directed,” Molnar said. “It is as much work, if not more than regular classes. There’s a perception they are self-paced, but the assignments have due dates.”

Reading and writing are the most important part of participating in an online class, Stone said.

“I think if you don’t learn well by reading alone,” Stone said, “then online classes are not for you.”