Track finishes 2nd, not good enough

This past Friday, the BG track team was host for a quintangular event at the Perry Field house.

The field house was transformed into a track paradise while hosting Cincinnati, Toledo, Youngstown and Indian Purdue Fort Wayne (IPFW).

The meet was full of intense races and individual battles.

The Falcons took second place this past weekend but wanted to do better.

“I was not satisfied with the effort of a handful of key performers,” BG head coach Scott Sehmann said. “Friday night, which put a damper on a strong effort by the majority of the team. With this said we lost a meet in which we should have come away as the top team.”

Sehmann felt the team needed to perform better and wanted better efforts from the Falcons as a whole squad.

The Falcons placed second with 224.5 points, falling behind Cincinnati.

Some BG runners took their running to the next level.

Jessica White tied the BG record in the 60-meter dash Friday evening with a time of 7.57. Sehmann not only praised Jessica’s performance but other Falcons.

“Some key performances this weekend came from Jessica White, Nikki Standback and Amber Walker in the sprint crew, Kim Settle and Melissa Krueger in the mid distance area, Elise Gould, Niki Suitor, and Andrea Pollack did a nice job going 2, 3 and 4 in the 3k,” he said. “Jamie Roflow ran an outstanding race and is now on top of the MAC list for that event while Stephanie Hillman continued to show her consistency with another fine 5k effort.”

BG also placed first in the mile and 5,000 meter races. This was a positive accomplishment for the Falcons.

Melissa Krueger also did some damage on the track with a time of 2:16.56 for the 800 meter. Erica Wilson and Kerri McClung also led the field crew with solid performances.

Sehmann has a positive attitude toward the direction of the Falcons.

“The strengths of this team at this time lies in our ability to keep bringing more individuals along as far as confidence is concerned,” he said. “The positive attitude and hard work that the majority of this team is exuding is starting to carry over in the competition arena. I hope in the next four weeks we’ll be able to add a few more names to the list of those who have made the commitment to look beyond themselves to help this team compete at their highest level at the conference championships in late February.”

The Falcons are trying to make things happen this track season. Getting this program off to a good start is something that Sehmann thinks is necessary. “As Michael Jordan put it ‘you have to expect things of yourself before you can do them'” he said. “I believe at this time of the season many of the athletes on this squad have high expectations and are doing what is necessary to be their best.”

The next stop for the Falcons is a road trip this weekend to Mt. Pleasant Michigan. It is the CMU Triangular and it’s set for Friday at 5 p.m. The Falcons will be looking to take first this weekend and leave last week’s disappointment behind them.