Falcons fall to defending champion

This past weekend, the Bowling Green track team placed second in the Central Michigan Invitational. It’s the second weekend in a row that the Falcons placed second in a meet.

For BG the effort was there, but they needed a little bump to push them over the hill and into first place in a meet.

BG head coach Scott Sehmann had a positive outlook over the meet.

“I was hoping we could score more points but also knew we were competing against CMU who is the defending champs and they have developed a program which has few holes in their line up,” he said. “Thus making it tough for an up-and-coming team like ours to have little room for error and we were not able to capitalize on 3-4 opportunities across the meet to make it a closer result in the end.”

This weekend had some top performers, such as Kerri McClung, who had an outstanding day as she threw a personal best at 50′ 10′. This also qualified her to the MAC Championships in three weeks. Melissa Krueger also lived up to her expectations and had a solid performance as she won the mile event.

Sehmann was very impressed with some other efforts.

“Niki Suitor ran a personal record in the 1000 meter race and is going to help our team out a lot over the next three weeks,” he said. “Other notables were Whitney Hartman, who had a personal record in the shot put, Jess White a personal record in 200 meters, Jamie Roflow had a personal record in the mile and 1000 meters.

Erica Wilson got back on track again with some solid attempts in the long jump and big things are on the way again.

Overall we had some very good personal efforts on Friday evening.”

The Falcons had to face tough competition as they went head to head with the defending champs, CMU. BG will look to use their positive performance for the upcoming meet this weekend.

“As far as where we stand right now many of our individuals are putting themselves in position to challenge for spots on the podium in three weeks with just a few who will need to demonstrate more will to be a contender at MACs,” Sehmann said.

The Falcons have some talented runners, jumpers and throwers who will be heavily considered as the best in the MAC. Up next for the Falcons is the All-Ohio Championships on February 12.