Wartime play explores battles in the home

The Bauman and the Brubacher Amish families were affected by the threat of World War I and the daunting transition into the 20th century in the titillating drama, “Quiet in the Land,” written by Anne Chislett.

The two Amish families must settle into their new surroundings. Originally from Germany, the Baumans and Brubachers decided to move to Canada because of the war brewing in Western Europe.

This subtle but powerful play expresses the views of the Amish. The voice of the Amish comes but rarely and this play tells the story of what they believe and how they live their lives.

Back when “Quiet in the Land” takes place, Bishop Christy Bauman, portrayed by Bob Russell, and Deacon Zepp Brubacher, portrayed by Tyler Ward, fight for their individuality from the rest of Canada. Being German and living in Canada was conflict of interest to the surrounding area of where they live.

As one character said to the Brubachers and the Baumans, “Don’t speak so much German in front of the Canadians.”

Christy Bauman’s son, Yock, portrayed by Adam Marier, who in the opening scene failed to join his friends, Kate Brubacher (Alisa Cutcher) and Menno Miller (David Fryling), in their baptism. Since he did not show, he is not considered a part of the church. His father disowned him and his honor. Although Christy still became bishop of the church, nothing worked out in his benefit.

Zepp Brubacher fought to live peacefully with his family as conflicts from the war and from Christy rose up around him. All of the men, including Zepp’s wife, Lydie Brubacher (Heather Willams) learned how to speak English.

The characters speak English with thick German accents, annotating that the characters are actually speaking German throughout the play. When they come in contact with English-speaking Canadians, they are concise and brief with them.

Out of respect, the men take off their hats when the enter the house and always put their hats on when they leave. As for women, they will take off their bonnets when they are in house and not in the presence of people unbeknownst to them or when they are outside.

Women are the homemakers and the men bring in the food and money. Amish women are brought up to be married and have babies. Kate was contracted for Yock, for which they fell in love in the process of getting to know each other.

Yock denounces Jesus Christ in front of his father and his grandmother, Hannah Bauman (Vanessa Baker), plus all their friends. He intensely argues with his father and leaves to join the fight in the war.

Since the Amish are peaceful pacifists, Christy disowns Yock. Kate would not leave with Yock, no matter how much she loved. She had to let him go in order to go on with her life.

“Quiet in the Land” enhances the significance of the Amish way of life and develops an audience appreciation for the culture. Not many people are aware of their community.

The Amish religion is extraordinarily important for their existence.

Attend the play this weekend for a powerful introduction into the life of what it is life without the existence of technology or the general society.