Falcons avenge loss to MU

With their backs against the wall, the Bowling Green Falcons went to Oxford and put their purpose-driven pursuit of perfection into practice by defeating Miami, 3-1.

“It was a great win for us to go down to Miami and beat them on their home floor with the type of season they’ve been having,” BG coach Denise Van De Walle said before yesterday’s practice.

“Really, the two middles were hard to stop,” she continued. “Kendra [Halm] and Stephanie [Swiger] had two great offensive and defensive nights and I think that’s really what sealed the deal for us to beat Miami.”

BG’s match against Western Michigan was shrouded in drama and disappointment the following night, culminating in a 3-1 loss.

“Something happened in that match that I’ve never seen in my entire career of coaching, and that was the official called an eight second call on our server when she never heard him blow the whistle or saw him beckon for service.

“So he took the ball from BG, gave Western the ball and the point,” she said. “It was one of the saddest games I’ve seen as far as momentum, distractions and things that have nothing to do with the players.”

Van De Walle said the questionable call, which took place during the third game while the score was tied at 29, and the loss to the Broncos didn’t de-value the team’s weekend.

The Falcons – 15-12 overall and 7-7 in the Mid-American Conference – still managed to secure a first-round home match for the Mid-American Conference Tournament begins Nov. 15.

There is a sense of relief among the Falcons, according to Van De Walle, now that they accomplished they set back in August.

“We’ve made some great strides this season with this young of a team … especially being picked fifth in the East and we’re third,” she said. “I think right now, the goal of hosting a first-round and realizing that we’ve played well enough to have that happen just speaks to what the team set out to do.”

Beginning with tonight’s 7 p.m. non-conference match with Oakland – at Anderson Arena, BG sets its sights on “finishing strong.”

The Grizzlies (5-24) will be the first opponent during a three-game home-stand as the Falcons end the regular-season.

Stephanie Swiger, who was named MAC East Player of the Week, said BG is motivated to finish the season with some strong performances in front of the home crowd.

“Playing well in front of your home crowd is a huge, huge deal,” she said. “We’re just excited to have the opportunity to host, and we’re looking forward to use these games as preparation for the MAC Tournament.”