CD Review for Mom

What do you get when you mix Frank Sinatra’s jazz and Christmas music? You get “Harry For the Holidays,” by, you guessed it, Harry Connick Jr.

The actor/musician has been working hard, releasing 18 albums, with “Harry for the Holidays,” being his second holiday album.

Connick’s voice never sounded as good, cranking out 12 well-known Christmas classics as well as four originals on this piece of work.

The album begins with a swinging rendition of “Frosty the Snowman,” presenting a sound that is unlike other Connick work, with screaming horns and a fast-paced vocal delivery. “The Christmas Waltz,” is a jazzy song that fits perfectly into the snowy conditions that’s familiar to the Christmas tradition, again with the complimentary horn section.

“Silver Bells,” a traditional classic, gets an unexpected twist, with the screeching horns and the upbeat jazz tempo. “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town,” is one of the best twists of a classic, sounding like a dance number with a funky melody.

“Nothin’ New for New Year,” has more of a country twang, separating it from the rest of the jazzy-sounds.

“Silent Night,” was the true surprise of the album, edging more toward simplicity, giving the old classic an unfamiliar twist.

“Harry For the Holidays,” is one of the best holiday albums, even one of Connick’s best, giving Christmas a new twist that only he can deliver and could stand the test of time.

-Matt Manning