Students prep for game on Facebook

Facebook has become the number one networking Web site for college students. People are regularly looking on Facebook, possibly more than checking their e-mail. It has become a fad and is growing in popularity every day.

Facebook’s qualities fit right into the daily life of a college student. Logging on several times per day, people are now starting to get creative with the network, using the Facebook as a means of selling products.

As of now, there are products such as beer-pong tables and T-shirts that are being sold. What is now four T-shirts, could soon be 20 or 50 shirts. T-shirts that sport, “Beer Pong,” or “Ohio: We’ve Got Nothing,” are being sold in quantity.

One of those products, the “Tuck Foledo – Here’s My Rocket” shirts can be found on the Facebook for $11. The shirts have the BG orange and brown colors, and have come just in time for the final football game against the Rockets.

Brennan Stanford, the entrepreneur and creator of the “Tuck Foledo” shirts, said the idea came from his urge to sell T-shirts.

“I was just sitting in my room wanting to sell T-shirts,” Stanford said.

A trio from the third floor of Offenhauer East emerged and became involved in the project, including Stanford, his roommate Dan Mazzeo and a friend of the roommates, Lee Preslan.

Preslan came up with the idea to put “Here’s My Rocket,” on the shirts, Stanford said, with the idea of making-fun of Toledo.

The group decided to move their product into the Facebook market, simply because BG’s network on Facebook was large and it would appeal to a wider spectrum.

“I became a member of Facebook last year right around the time it first came to BG,” Stanford said. “I usually get on Facebook once or so a day, but with all of the shirt orders coming in, I check it a few more times a day to get orders and answer questions.”

The shirt business is good, according to Stanford. Originally, the trio started out with an order of 200 shirts, now they have exceeded 220 and are still taking orders to have more made.

The proceeds from the T-shirts will be used for the trio’s party expenses.

“Some of the money we make will be used to throw a party for the people who helped us throughout the process,” Stanford said. “We’ll also use the money for supplies for tailgating before the game.”

Bradley Kublin found the shirts on Facebook, and became immediately attracted to them.

“I plan on going to the game and wanted something that makes fun of Toledo,” Kublin said.

Like Kublin, Travis Cook found the shirts on Facebook, and “thought the shirts looked funny,” so he and his friends bought them for the game.

Both Kublin and Cook said there should be more shirts like these for all of the big games. As for Stanford, Mazzeo and Preslan, if they feel the business has been successful by the end, you could see more T-shirts by the trio in the spring.