Shakin’ up Shakespeare: Old classics get a new look

The Joe E. Brown stage didn’t look prepared for a performance consisting only of a lounge chair and ladder, but don’t let that fool you because that stage hosted the greatest works in history – those of William Shakespeare.

The University’s department of theatre and film presents, “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged),” all the works of Shakespeare condensed into a 90-minute performance.

Some may wonder how it’s possible to present all the material into one performance, but a better question is how it’s done with only three male actors.

Director James Davis felt the need to cast an all-male acting crew as a reaction to the last performance that featured all-female actors.

Actors Nick Wilson, Nathan Gonzalez and Tyler Ward take the main characters out of all 37 histories, tragedies and comedies, and provide a basic outline of events using various segments of popular culture including the 10 histories summed up in a football game where the characters murder each other to become king.

The tragedy “Titus Andronicus” was told through Gonzalez being the main chef in a cooking show. “Othello” is told through a Beastie Boy- sounding jam session, where the actors got to show off their musical abilities.

Davis said the performance will serve better for those “who know nothing about Shakespeare.”

The performance began with the physical comedy of Wilson acting like a schoolboy giving a book report presenting an inaccurate portrayal of Shakespeare’s biography and setting the tone for the rest of the evening.

“Romeo and Juliet” – the one most audiences are familiar with – was told through the sexual innuendoes of Romeo (Ward) and Juliet (Wilson).

The beginning of “Romeo and Juliet” began with Wilson performing as a Capulet and Ward as Romeo drawing swords and fighting in a slapstick battle.

After the intermission, the rest of the evening was devoted to the great story of “Hamlet.”

Relying on audience participation and going through the story three times in different speeds, it was the most stand-out aspect of the performance and included another old fashioned sword fight.

Gonzalez, Ward and Wilson played off of each other to the point where it was hard to believe it was scripted.

“These three got on stage and verbally picked on each other … I knew these were the guys,” Davis said.

Although most of the play is scripted, the crew throws in a few popular culture references to Kirstie’s Alleys weight and “The O.C.,” making Shakespeare more appealing to the predominantly younger audience.

After next weekend, the three actors are unsure whether they will work together again.

Wilson – who pretends to vomit on members of the audience throughout the performance – said “I’m just going to go back and be lazy,” as the rest of the crew said Wilson wears his weight well.

Janelle Engle, an audience member, said the performance was worth the price of a ticket.

“It was very funny and just made for an enjoyable night and it was fun to do something different,” she said.

The tight-knit crew has been preparing for “Abridged,” since the third week of school, and hopes audiences will take home a great experience with a few laughs.

The production will be performed again tonight at 8 and Sunday at 2 p.m. at Joe E. Brown Theatre.