Coach demands consistency

If BGSU women’s soccer coach Andy Richards has said it once, he’s said it a thousand times: consistency is one of the most important keys to success.

Richards’ Falcons have been slow to catch on to that concept thus far this season. The squad fell to Ball State 3-0 Friday before bouncing back to top Miami 3-1 yesterday. This weekend marked the fourth consecutive weekend in which the squad split their matches.

“It was a tale of two teams,” Richards said. “It’s clear were lacking any kind of consistency. Friday was just extremely disappointing.”

The Falcons were unable to spark their offense against Ball State, with just four shot attempts to the Cardinals’ 15.

Ball State, on the other hand, wasted no time getting on the board. Amy Holst scored for the Cardinals off assists from teammates Angie Heyer and Krista Mitts. Heyer sent a corner kick into the net 15 minutes later to put the Cardinals up 2-0. Annie Aiello completed the scoring for Ball State, notching a goal in the 53rd minute.

Richards was quick to praise Ball State.

“They just covered ground very well,” he said. “They didn’t allow our strengths to show. They’re very well-coached and very organized. They have a lot of positives.”

Yesterday Richards had the chance to praise his own team for getting their second Mid-American Conference win.

“It was a very good performance. Corbie Yee scored two fantastic goals. It was a great victory and a MAC win, which is very important,” he said.

Britt Anderson opened scoring at 22:16, putting away a ball from teammate Samantha Meister. Yee, a freshman, netted two goals of her own in the first half to record her first two-goal match of her young collegiate career. Anderson and Julie Trundle picked up the assists.

Richards was pleased with the offensive production against the Redhawks.

“I thought we played much better as a midfield unit today. It was a great team performance. We were very efficient in our finishing. Even though we didn’t have many chances, we made the best of the opportunities we did have,” he said.

Kathleen Vistica scored the lone goal for Miami at 86:10. Aimee Prevallet assisted.

Keeper Ali Shingler picked up the win in net for the Falcons, keeping the squad in the game with key saves early in the match.

Richards stressed that although the team had mixed results, the weekend was truly a team effort.

“Everybody got on the field in both games, so everyone is responsible for their part,” he said.

This weekend’s split bring the Falcons’ overall record to 6-6-0 overall, 2-2-0 in the MAC. Richards would like to see consistency improve as the squad continues league play.

“If we can perform on the level we did today (Sunday), we’ll have a successful season,” he said. “If we perform like we did Friday, it’ll be a disastrous season.”

After five away games, the Falcons will return home to face MAC foes Ohio and Akron this weekend.

‘#160;