Dining services is now ‘all about you’

The University Dining Services is making changes for the fall and spring semesters to suit the students’ eating habits, said Martha Fisher, associate director of Residence Life and is a marketer for the University Dining Services.

“We have a new theme,” she said, “where it’s all about you.”

The University Dining Services wants the students to be able to expan their options and customize what they want to eat.

Commons is making a change called “Brunch for Lunch.” Students will be able to eat breakfast later, Fisher said. The “Brunch for Lunch” will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Students will be able to make their own skillets and a build-your-own-brunch bowl with hot cinnamon rolls, bacon, pancakes, French toast and so on.

There will also be a cereal creation station where there will be a variety of three or four cold cereal and hot cereal for the colder months, Fisher said. The students can have a variety of toppings to accompany the cereal. A waffle station will be there everyday.

Commons is also starting brunch on Sundays. Commons was normally not open on the weekends, but the students who live in the closest dorms will be able to experience the brunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

There will be a make-your-own-omelet station, a carved meat like turkey or roast beef, Belgian waffles, vegetables, different kinds of potatoes, quiches and much more.

“We’ll make it a little bit different than during the week,” Fisher said.

On the regular days at Commons, there will be a hot sandwich on Tuesday and Thursday, sausage gravy and biscuits Wednesday and Friday, salad bar all day, everyday, three soup varieties instead of two, with one vegetarian and an ice cream station everyday.

“Dinners will be more traditional,” Fisher said.

This will include Tuesday with a moving rotisserie, Wednesday with an Italian pasta bar and Thursday is Mexican food day with “naked wings” in another line. These are Buffalo wings with no sauce, and the students can create whatever they want to put on them, like barbecue sauce or hot sauce, Fisher said.

Founders will continue to have a pasta bar on Wednesday, will have taco Tuesdays, a baked potato bar on Thursday and a vegan station. They will have seasonal stations and items, like the french fry bar, a chili bar and a mashed potato bar, and they will continue the sensation of “Pie in the Sky” on Friday, where students can make their own personal pan pizza, Fisher said.

“Due to requests, we are changing the Underground’s Coffee Bar into a convenience store,” Fisher said. The convenience store will be called Kravings.

The Union is expanding their hours for Steak Escape, Wooster Street Deli and the Pasta Bar until 9 p.m. instead of 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday. There will be a continental breakfast at 8 a.m. with cereal and fruit yogurt bars and a hot breakfast at 9 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. They’re serving “fund$avers,” like grilled cheese and burgers at 10:30 a.m. and hot dogs at 11:30 a.m.

There will be a new station called the “Vegan Spot” instead of the “Hot Spot.” The vegan items will be made from scratch, since students are becoming more health conscious, Fisher said.

At the Bowling Greenery, they will have a $5.95 “Super Soup and Salad” bar with a hot entrée on the line and it will open at 11 a.m.

“This is an early bird special for students,” Fisher said. “This will keep with the build-your-own entrée.”

There will be a put-it-together menu at the Black Swamp Pub, Fisher said.

“You can add fries,” she said. “Customize it what you want to eat it.”

Students will also be able to buy sandwiches, salads and fruits at Starbucks.

The changes are still being processed for the other places on campus. They will be known by the end of the month.