Falcons win in overtime against Eastern Ill.

‘#160;

Leah Eggleton’s goal with less than a minute remaining in the first overtime period in yesterday’s women’s soccer match gave the Falcons their first home win of the season over Eastern Illinois.

Friday, the squad fell to Michigan State in a 1-0 decision. The Spartans’ Emma Harris scored the game winner nine minutes into the match. BGSU keeper Ali Shingler had eight saves in her complete match effort.

“We’re very happy to get the win of course,” BG coach Andy Richards said. “It was nice to be able to win in overtime. Those wins are always a little bit more exciting. It’s the first time we’ve beaten Eastern Illinois, so that has an added element to it as well.”

The Falcon’s have posted a 3-3-0 record thus far in the season, due in part to their increased level of competition as of late.

“We asked them to be very competitive in practice. We ask them to always give 100 percent. I think disappointingly, at the beginning of the season, they just didn’t have that quality – but since then, that quality’s been apparent in our team and they’ve done much better because of that,” Richards said.

A persistent Eastern Illinois squad forced the Falcons to step their game up. BGSU’s Samantha Meister opened scoring at 20:41 with a goal assisted by Julie Trundle and Britt Anderson. With 40 seconds left in the half, the Panther’s Sharyne Connell slid the ball into the net after Shingler dropped it to tie the score going into the break.

Both teams came out of the break playing very physical and hungry for another score. The physical play resulted in two yellow cards, both awarded to EIU.

Though both teams had several chances, Shingler and EIU keeper Tiffany Groene came up with some big saves. Both keepers had six saves in the match.

After a scoreless second half, the Falcons took the field for a ten minute sudden death overtime. With 57 seconds left in the period, Anderson found Eggleton, who sent a high ball just under the crossbar and over Groene to win the match. Meister also assisted.

Richards was jubiliant over the overtime score.

“You have to talk about Leah,” he said. “It was a very special goal. You don’t see goals like that scored very often. She’s a great player. She’s done tremendous things for us in her four years at Bowling Green. I always feel like we’re not quite the same team when she’s not in. She’s struggling with an injury, so that tells you a lot about her character as well.”

While Eggleton’s goal stole the spotlight, the whole Falcon squad deserves recognition for their complete match effort, said Richards.

“Sammy’s goal was a good one. Ali did a nice job making crucial saves for us. Everybody played well,” he said.

Though the team struggled through their first two games of the season, their recent performances have Richards confident that they’re headed in a more positive direction.

“Overall, we’re very happy with the way the team is progressing. We’re playing at a higher level than we were a few weeks ago and that’s encouraging,” he said.

‘#160;