Racing to learn about life’s journey

It is a true celebration of life.

For a $25 entry fee, anyone can participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

Every year hundreds of thousands will be diagnosed with breast cancer as attendance climbs at events around the country in an effort to find a cure for this disease. The American Cancer Society has predicted that 40,000 will die this year alone from breast cancer, stealing life from thousands of vivacious souls every year!

Yet even being one of thousands running or walking amongst the survivors of Breast Cancer, it is hard not to feel so incredibly privileged just to be there, in the presence of such fighters.

This was my third Race for the Cure, and the first Race where the weather was sunny and beautiful. Finally, a race where the weather fully exemplified the atmosphere of the event! I have found that no matter how rainy and cold the races have been, there is no shattering of the spirit for those who come together.

They celebrate the lives of those who have survived in the face of this terrible disease, and those who fought valiantly but lost. Memories now live on of those who have lost their lives as an inspiration to find a cure.

I am always reminded of what is really important when I am doing a Race for the Cure. It struck me on Sunday that I have never thought any negative thoughts while participating in a Race. I am never anxious for the finish line – as a matter of fact, I almost dread it. I think I have achieved some of my best thinking and understanding about life’s true meaning while participating in Races.

As many of you who have participated know, racers are able to wear pink pieces of paper that either say “In Memory of” or “In Celebration of” on the backs of their shirts that serve as tributes to those who they race for. Many will race in groups and even have T-shirts made honoring a special person they have lost to breast cancer.

I am thankful I had the excuse to wear sunglasses this year, because it is always an emotional experience for me.

Although I have never lost a family member to breast cancer, I lost two beloved family members to other types of cancer. This event always brings back fond memories of my lost loved ones, and at the same time I can feel the memories of those racing with me.

It really puts life in perspective when so often we lose sight about what really matters in our lives. I was fortunate enough to have terrific company while doing the Race this year. My great friend, Laura, and her Mom – both of whom had been talking to me but saw that I was completely oblivious because I had been deep in a state of thought; a state that had control of me for much of the race.

There was a teenage girl, probably in high school, wearing one of the “In Celebration of” tributes, and on it she had written, “My Mom!” I know most girls will agree with me when I say that our Moms are our best friends, no matter how many crusades of separation we attempt to wage throughout our lives. How must it have been for this girl, during the most important years of her life, to watch her best friend go through this illness and everything that goes with it?

It made me think of times I have taken my own Mom for granted, said things to hurt her feelings, and done things I regret – and it was at that moment that I realized how so many of us take our loved ones for granted, never knowing what could happen tomorrow. Just think of what a risk it is to say and do things you may regret, never knowing if you will get a chance to fix those it.

It really is amazing the insight that can be gained just from participating in a mere race. But when I saw some little boys wearing a shirt with a picture of their very young Mommy and a message memorializing her along with her years of life: 1971-2004, it became impossible to walk away without feeling so sad for them, but so fortunate that I have been able to grow up with my parents and other people who bring love into my life.

In life, you can take people who provide you with unconditional love for granted.

You can be afraid of death and not love for fear of being hurt and alone. Or you can realize what matters – making every second count with your loved ones, and living life to its fullest. Because you never know what tomorrow holds.