Sports on the upward by the lake

Chief Wahoo is smiling, the bite is back in the “Dawg Pound” and the Wine ‘#38; Gold are primed for a title run.

Cleveland has some of the best fans in all of sports, even when their teams aren’t successful. Go ahead, ask a Cleveland fan how he feels about the Browns. Without hesitation the first word out of his or her mouth is “Super Bowl.”

You might say that they are just ignorant fans, but it’s more like die-hard fans who don’t front run like many surrounding area professional teams. It’s time for Cleveland fans of the Tribe, Cavs and Browns to make themselves known on campus. It’s time for the fans to emerge from the shadows and let it be known that Bowling Green is a “Brownstown”. We have LeBron, Grady and Braylon. What else is there to say?

The Cleveland Indians are the hottest team in baseball since the All-Star Break. Currently the Tribe are behind in the A.L. Central by only a few games and ahead in the wild card race. With the Indians’ recent success, I have seen more and more Tribe apparel around campus.

It is do or die time for the Tribe as they finished their series with the White Sox and head for Kansas City and them home for a stand against the Devil Rays and the White Sox. If the Tribe can sweep the Royals and the Devil Rays, I feel that they can lock up a playoff spot. The wild card is going to be a tight race and I would not be surprised if it goes down to a one-game playoff between the Tribe and Yankees.

If the Indians do not make the playoffs this season, fans should not get down on the Tribe. Think about next season and the future of the Indians in general. They have many of their stud players locked up for several years and have the third lowest payroll in the league.

It will be time for the Indians to spend some money. I think a nice replacement for Casey Blake would be Johnny Damon, though he probably won’t be cheap.

The Cleveland Cavaliers may have had the best off-season possible. They signed four of the top 10 free agents available.

Re-signing two-time All Star Zydrunas Ilgauskas was very pivotal for the Cavaliers title run. “Z” brings his amazing offensive skills and his mediocre defense back to the team.

Larry Hughes, the Cavaliers new starting shooting guard, will immediately have an impact on both sides of the ball. He is the top shooting guard defender and his offense brings play-making ability.

The Cavaliers had tons of three point shooting problems but those should be solved with the signings of new starting point guard Damon Jones and forward Donyell Marshall. The Cavaliers have one of the most talented rosters in all of the NBA and the expectations are set high for this team in 2006. Fans will not settle for anything less than going to the Eastern Conference finals.

On to the most popular team in Cleveland, the Browns. I am a realist and realize with a new coach and new players that the Browns won’t be in the Super Bowl this season but I believe they can at least contend for the a playoff berth.

The Browns are 1-1, fresh off a huge upset against Green Bay, and look to compete strongly this weekend against the Colts. For the Browns to win this weekend, they are going to need to play perfect football.

The Cleveland Browns will be a winner eventually. Let’s say the Browns have the season everyone expects which is like last season, being one of the worst teams in the league. This upcoming draft class has the most talent that I have seen in my short life. Can you imagine Matt Leinart throwing to Braylon Edwards and not to mention the return of Kellen Winslow Jr? The Browns are also projected to be about 25 million dollars under the salary cap.

There are big things on the rise for Cleveland sports. For the success of the teams in the future, there is a simple solution. For the Browns, they need to continue to draft well and the future will be bright. The Indians need to empty their pockets and at least spend the league average. The Cavaliers need to do one little thing, re-sign LeBron James for life.

I am from Cleveland and proud of it.

‘#160;