Falcons set school record to start season

‘#160;

Three is the lucky number for the Falcons Men’s Golf team. The Falcons broke three new school records and are on their way to winning the John Piper Invitational.

The Falcons set the school record for an 18 hole course (-13), 36 hole course (-14) and 54 holes (-19). – not a bad way to start the season

“What a great start to the season. It’s really positive for the kids to start off good,” said Head Coach Gary Winger.

The Falcons shot an overall 845, topping the second place Marquette with a score of 854 and Ohio University finished third. “It was really important for us to win our first tournament, especially our own,” Winger said.

Brad Dearsman was the Falcons’ top ace, shooting a 4- under round of 212. “Brad shot really well in the tournament and lead the team in the right direction,” Winger said.

Not only did Brad shoot well, but the other four Falcons contributed greatly as well. “All five guys stood out, Heath and Jace stepped up,” Winger said.

Each finishing fourth overall was Heath Ziglar (71-75-67) and Jace Walker (71-68-74) each scoring a 213. Chris Leake who shot 214 and Tommy Lopez 220 finished seventh and 20th overall for the tournament.

The Falcons started off the season with a bang. In the sports world, a great 1-0 start is the most positive outlook on the rest of the season. Not to mention breaking three school records and having 3 top finishers. This is something positive for the Falcons Golf program to build on.

The Falcons had a well-deserved day off on Wednesday. Yesterday morning it was back to the tee’s bright and early in the morning for a tune-up practice to prepare for Atlanta.

Next up for the Men’s Golf team is a tournament in Atlanta, GA. “The tournament was supposed to be in Alabama but because of the hurricane, it was switched. We’re going to Atlanta Saturday to face teams we have never competed against,” Winger said.

The Falcons will look to keep the momentum rolling with a big victory this weekend, proving the Men’s Golf team is for real this season.