Patriot plan helps soldiers

In Kosovo, he was a just a soldier. After graduation, he’ll have to fight as a father.

Army Cadet Sgt. Maj. Aaron Keighley, a University senior in ROTC, enrolled in the ROTC program after he returned from active duty in Kosovo.

“I know what it’s like to be away. But I was only 18-years-old, and I didn’t have as much responsibility as I have now,” Keighley said.

State lawmakers created a plan to help military families like Keighley’s.

“Ohio’s Patriot Plan” offers nine ways for active-duty soldiers to prevent potential debt and stress for their families during their deployment overseas.

When he finishes college, Keighley will return to combat as an officer. Keighley said he hopes that his unit will trust him as an officer because he’s been in combat before. But more than Keighley’s rank will change when he is deployed a second time.

“I haven’t really experienced what the military is like with a child,” he said.

Now, Keighley is the father of 13-month-old son.

Keighley said the Ohio Patriot Plan gives him confidence.

“There is always a lot of stress getting deployed,” Keighley said. “This will alleviate some of the stress and some of the worries that you have while you’re away from your family.”

The Ohio Patriot plan would rewrite the Ohio Human Rights Law to prevent discrimination against soldiers when they apply for jobs, housing or credit.

In addition, the plan would let soldiers end a cell phone contract or a car lease if called to active duty.

Known to lawmakers as Sub. House Bill 426, the non-partisan plan was passed unanimously in the Ohio Senate and House of Representatives last year.

Sponsor of the plan was Democratic Rep. Peter Ujvagi of the 47th District, which is located about 25 miles, or 30 minutes, from the city of Bowling Green. Ujvagi represents the southern and eastern sides of Toledo.

The bill won’t go into effect until 90 days after Gov. Bob Taft signs it. Ujvagi said he hopes the bill will be effective by May 2005, at the latest.

“The sacrifices our military men and women make while serving on active duty should not be compounded by their families having to make additional sacrifices at home,” Ujvagi said in a press release.

Ohio soldiers might not have to wait that long to see the effects of the plan. Ujvagi said a cell phone company begrudgingly ended the contract of an Ohio soldier based on knowing the legislation was already in the governor’s hands.

Ujvagi said he is hoping “service members are going to be able to start using [the Ohio Patriot Plan already] if they have any problems that the legislation covers.”

The Ohio Patriot Plan mimics a pair of bills that have been around in the state of New York since 2003. Rep. Ujvagi said he is already drafting the second Ohio Patriot Plan. He hopes to include items that were dropped from the original plan. Among the priorities of Plan 2, Ujvagi described a discount card for military families “similar to the Buckeye card.”

Several provisions of the plan focus on families, but single soldiers also benefit.

Senior Ben Alvarez is an Army ROTC cadet who expects that he will be deployed when he graduates.

“I haven’t put too much thought into family yet, ” Alvarez said. “But reading the plan, they’re all things that I myself hadn’t even thought of. Then I read it, and I’m like, ‘Wow, that’s a great idea!'”

Alvarez said deployment could last about a year.

“It does not make sense to have to pay for a car lease for a car that you can’t drive for a year, and a cell phone that you can’t use for a year. I think those two really stood out to me as being helpful to single soldiers,” Alvarez said.

For soldier and father, Keighley, this plan will simplify life in general when he’s away from home.

“It’s good to know that even if you fall behind on your bills,” Keighley said, “that you are protected by the government from them shutting off your power or kicking you out of your place.”