Alum brings a bit of class to the Greenery

More then a hint of sophistication and fine dining took place two Wednesdays ago in the Bowling Greenery when 1993 BGSU graduate, Jim Cosma, returned to his alma mater to present an Argentinean wine tasting evening.

At 6:30 p.m., the sweet indulging began with forest mushroom soup with crispy bacon and garlic croutons. The appetizers were accompanied with the first wine of the night, Viognier, a red wine that is described by the experts from Luigi Bosca, the winery that grew out of the Spanish-founded Bodegas Leoncio Arizu, as “exotic, clean, brilliant, almost golden.”

The second course was an elaborate salad consumed with a glass of Chardonnay, a wine Boscnians said is characterized by its fresh sensation.

By course three, appetites were already appeased, but the delicious grilled sea scallops with citrus compote and an open bottle of Rose, were too good to pass up.

The fourth course consisted of the most elaborate roasted pork tenderloin, probably ever to be consumed in the Student Union, and it was accompanied with what Cosma correctly predicted would be the favorite of the five wines, Malbec.

“Malbec is Argentina’s signature wine,” Cosma said.

The fifth course was a vanilla bean crème caramel with several sweet additives. The wine also was sweet, Gewurztraminer, “Aromas of berries, guava, litchi, tropical fruits and mush,” Boscnians reviewed.

Lori Schumacher, who works in the Administration Building, saw the flyer for the wine tasting and invited her friend, Tam Rolf to join her. They both said that they couldn’t wait for the next one in January.

“I just think it was absolutely fabulous, educational and fun. The food was phenomenal and the wine was even better,” Rolf said.

“Now we both want to take a trip to Argentina,” Schumacher said.

Cosma owes his Argentinean wine inspiration to his wife whom he said he “fell in love with and moved to Argentina for two years.”

Cosma said they returned to the United States because of the “opportunities” and he began working for Atlas Imports in Waterford, Michigan.

“I have never done a wine tasting at a college before,” Cosma said. He added he was impressed with the food that the Greenery provided for the occasion.

The cost per person was $50, a figure that may seem high for students but is a low price for the education, fun and good tasting that was included. Cosma said that he is looking forward to returning to campus during the school year and serving a larger audience.