Soccer player collapses during game

Leslie Ann Dawley, a University freshman soccer player collapsed five minutes into yesterday’s Mid-American Conference Tournament quarterfinal match against Buffalo. She was a midfielder/forward for the team and was away from the action when she fell to the field. She received immediate medical attention before being transported to the Wood County Hospital, where she later passed away.

Leslie, 18, was from Westerville, Ohio and planned to major in business at the University.

Stopped with 39:41 remaining in the first half, the game against Buffalo has been rescheduled at the request of the family for 11 a.m. this morning.

“In light of today’s tragic events, the game of soccer pales into insignificance,” Coach Andy Richards said. “However, with the wishes of the Dawley family and the women’s soccer program, we will honor the memory of Leslie Dawley by playing against Buffalo. Soccer is what brought Leslie to Bowling Green and, as hard as it is going to be to play that game, it is fitting to remember Leslie in the game she loves.”

Leslie came to the University after spending three years on Thomas Worthington High School’s varsity soccer team. In her senior year, the Cardinals won the Ohio Capital Conference where she had 14 goals and three assists. She earned All-OCC First-Team and All-Ohio Second-Team honors during her senior season, as well.

Leslie played in 18 of the teams 20 regular-seasons games, starting in six. She was in the starting lineup of yesterday’s game. She was ranked second on the team for assists, both overall and in the conference. She had six assists on the season, four of which were in consecutive matches.

According to athletic director Paul Krebs, Leslie’s mother and father where with her at the time of her death. Dawley was the second of four children, she has a brother and two sisters.

“It is with great sadness that we make this announcement,” said Krebs. “We appreciate the support extended to us from the University community during our time of sorrow. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Dawley family, her teammates and our coaching staff.”

The entire women’s soccer team met last night, and will go into today’s match playing in tribute to Leslie’s memory.

A cause of death has yet to be determined, an autopsy is scheduled to be done in a few days.