U. Society speaker motivates students

The University’s new group, The Society of Success and Leadership, sponsored a live video teleconference with a motivational speaker last night in the Union .

Live from Sam Houston State University in Texas and teleconferenced to 60 different colleges nation-wide, John Crudele, motivational and leader speaker, talked about being a student, love, relationships and leadership.

Crudele’s speech was aimed at the college student, even though he does talk to younger students. He based his speech on how people need to grow in order to build their future and taking responsibility for ones actions.

“If we are old enough to blame, we are old enough to do something about it,” Crudele said.

People always will be students; the more they learn, the more they grow. The more influence they have, the better leaders they will be, Crudele said.

“Are you waiting to be taught, or are you going to class to learn?” Crudele stressed the fact that whatever you pledge to in life is what you will become.

Crudele compared what happened on Sept. 11, and what happens directly after being a student. When in elementary school, students believe all people are the same. After Sept. 11, people went back to the same elementary school instinct.

“All you can control is what you become,” Crudelle said. “If you find out you are going in the wrong direction, get out.”

If you want to get a job, you have to become employable. If you are one of 15 applicants, you have to be more employable than the other 14.

“Strive each day to let go of a little bit of what’s not working and strive to be something that will work,” Crudele said.

“You are a gift. Make choices that celebrate the gift of your creation,” Crudele said. “Be a leader, beginning with you.

Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less.”

The Society of Success and Leadership is a new campus group, many students are taking interest in what they are providing. Abby Classen, University student, attended last month’s motivational speaker.

“I think it’s a really good program,” Classen said. “It sends a great message everyone should hear.”

The society’s first general meeting, Tuesday October 29, at 7 p.m. in 316 Union.