40 Days/Nights mostly for guys

In an era full of teenybopper movies, “40 Days and 40 Nights” somewhat surpasses the competition.

The storyline is much like most other teen flicks: boy breaks up with girl, boy meets another girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy loses girl, boy makes it up to girl, only to lose her again and it all ends happily.

There’s an exciting new twist to this story though. For starters, the reason he had lost the girl in the first place was because of a bet. Matt (Josh Hartnett) has given up sex and all things related to sex for Lent (40 days and 40 nights), and by all things, I do mean ALL things. No touching. No kissing. No foreplay. No fooling around. No self-gratification. No nothing.

Erica (Shannyn Sossamon) finds out about the bet through her work as a cyber-nanny, after he has hidden it from her since the beginning. The relationship goes through a lot of twists and turns. With Matt being tempted by ex’s and people who just want to win the bet, it’s hard for the relationship to progress.

Unlike the majority of the other teen flicks, this movie is mainly geared toward males. Much like other teen movies that throw in things for the guys, this movie also throws in things for the gals. I seem to remember a very ‘erotic’ sex scene involving a flower, which I doubt any woman would mind.

Much like its predecessors, the movie does fall short, and is left open for mockery. However, the characters are well thought out, the plot…is decent, and it’s funny, even hilarious at times. If you’re looking for a good ‘date’ movie … you may want to pick another movie, unless flowering orgasms intrigue you.

There’s one thing I can’t quite grasp, however. I was in a big city all summer, and I did a lot of laundry at a laundromat. However, not once did a woman as beautiful as Shannyn Sossamon come in … go figure.