University organist plays into fifth decade

Ten professors have been working at this University for four decades. One of them is Vernon Wolcott, 69, a professor in the College of Music.

Wolcott came in Bowling Green in September 1962 and since then has been at musical department. When Wolcott came to University, the teachers had heavier work loads. For example Wolcott taught five music subjects; today it would be too overloaded, but at that time the University didn’t have enough specialists in all his areas.

“We had to teach all those classes,” said Wolcott, recalling his early days. “We [the music department] were formerly in West Hall, then in 1979 we moved in the new building [Moore Musical Arts Center], and now we are second largest music school in Ohio, and we think the best.”

Wolcott explains his long-standing passion for the University by citing constantly improving prospects at the College of Music over the years.

“As a College we are much better off than we were (before).” He likes the city as well. “You get attached to the area,” Walcott said. “Bowling Green is a nice place to grow old.”

Another passion of Wolcott’s is music students.

“Music students are smarter to start with, almost always they have a good academic achievements.”

Professor Wolcott teaches piano and organ — one of the most sophisticated instruments — in the College of Music.

“Bach used to say that it’s easy to play the organ, what you have to do is to put the right finger on the right key at the right time, which is true,” he said. “But of course getting there I think is the problem.”

He was 11 when he started the piano and 13 when he started organ. “It’s better to learn first to read music.”

Wolcott has written a lot of music, but most of all he likes to improvise, “It sounds spontaneous, but it has to be practiced.” Wolcott works full time in the University and plays organ every week at the local church.

He performed recitals throughout the East and Midwest; studied and performed on historic European organs; he is also listed in “Who’s Who of Musicians,” “Who’s Who in American Music” and “Dictionary of International Biography.”

But music is not Wolcott’s sole interest. He draws, too.

“I also do some art,” he said. “I did almost all of the studio courses in our School of Art. I’ve been attending classes for about 20 years, although I don’t have a degree. Now I do mostly drawing and graph on paper.

“I work at studio of art every week, I have two professions, and I don’t mix them.”

Wolcott has a wife, and two children. Nancy, his wife, specializes in the church music, his daughter works in the Toledo library, and his son plays the violin in the Dallas Opera Orchestra.