Variety of Ohio soloists to perform at free concert

Students in the area will have the opportunity to experience a free concert and great music when they attend the SuperSoloFest tonight at Easy Street Cafe.

An eclectic variety of music from modern and punk rock to folk rock will be offered for that ideal musical taste.

The SuperSoloFest is part of the Multifestival series. The Multifestival has an abundance of talented musicians to express themselves.

Myke Rock, the event coordinator and musician, who started the Multifestival series, began booking two or three shows in Columbus during the middle of last year.

He wanted to continue the series with more artists and in other parts of Ohio. Now, there are 25 bands and over 200 musicians involved.

He also began the Performing Ambassador Program where musicians will perform in front of a live audience as an audition. “If I liked them a lot,” Rock says, “I booked them.”

He would offer them showcases and performances in their hometown.

In another attempt to find out about these artists, Rock posted information about the event on local music Web sites so that artists could contact him or he could receive referrals from the local bars.

The series will begin with the SuperSoloFest tonight. Next will be the DuoFest, then the TrioFest. The MultiFest performance will be May 28 and 29 at Howard’s Club H. The Fest will include all of the soloists and the bands that had played in the first part of the series.

At the SuperSoloFest tonight, Josh Woodward, Daniel Greunke and Lance Hulsey from Bowling Green, and Rock, Willie Phoenix and Theresa Caldwell will be performing.

Rock, who has been playing the bass guitar for 25 years, will be playing solo.

“Solo is my main vehicle for my music,” he said.

Rock can even play “Strawberry Fields” by the Beatles with a bass guitar, a difficult task.

“That guy can make that bass guitar talk,” said Willie Phoenix, Phoenix, a scheduled performer for SuperSoloFest was named a “legend” by Rock.

He has been playing seriously for 15 years and learned how to play guitar from his fathers’ blues-playing of Muddy Waters. He may have a band, The Willie Phoenix Band, but he will be performing solo tonight.

“It gives me a chance to play the songs how I originally play the songs,” Phoenix said. “I like going out playing string naked from what the song’s really about.”

Phoenix and Rock have known each other for a few years, but Josh Woodward went to Bgmusicians.com where he found out about the SuperSoloFest.

Woodward is an unsigned artist. His debut album was created completely by himself, including the writing, performing, production and cover art.

He loves playing solo like his cohorts, Phoenix and Rock. He says it is easier to write songs and not worry if the band is following along.

“Granted, all eyes are on you and you don’t have anyone to lean on when you mess up,” said Woodward. “But that adds to the adrenaline rush and makes for more energy and rawness.” Look forward to tonight when the experience to watch performers pour out their soul and execute complete musical talent. “A series has an end and this does not,” Rock says. “I don’t see any reason to stop.”