Women reach out to families

Women from Bowling Green State University and sororities from University of Toledo teamed up to donate charitable goods to the Ronald McDonald House, which allows parents of ill children to stay up to 11 months free of charge while their children are in the hospital.

“With all the negative images and stereotypes sorority women get from television shows like MTV’s Sorority Life, the women who came out this past weekend showed their willingness to help and aid others as well as keeping in touch with their community,” said Kelly Chryst, The Collegiate Relations Director for Heart to Heart and a Chi Omega Panhellenic Representative.

“The charity allowed the women, both active collegians and alumni to come together and learn more about a chartable organization.

Simply, the active sorority women can take this experience back to their chapters and get more of their members involved with the organization in the future,” said Chryst.

To attend the charitable event, sorority women and alumni had to bring items to gain admittance into the event.

“The turn out was wonderful,” said Gretchen Smith, the Public Relations coordinator for Heart to Heart.

“The 250 women that were in attendance brought wonderful items for the families to enjoy at The Ronald McDonald House,” Smith said.

Items such as toiletries, pre-paid phone cards and creative items such as homemade baby blankets and sock bunnies, were donated.

Along with donating items, sororities were asked by their Panhellenic Councils to collect pop tabs, from which all proceeds were given to the Ronald McDonald organization. The Alpha Chi Omega chapter of The University of Toledo collected the most pop tabs, giving them $100 toward their chapter’s philanthropy. Three large bags of pop tabs collected from all the sororities were combined.

“This past weekend was a great success,” said Chryst. “It was a learning experience and a great cause to participate. I look forward to getting personally involved again next year and aiding another worthy charity with the my fellow alumni and sororities in the area.”

To get involved with the Ronald McDonald House, or to donate to the organization, visit http://www.rmhc.com online.