Soccer’s season ends

Sadly, every good thing must come to an end. The BGSU women’s soccer team ended an exciting and successful season on Friday with a 2-0 loss to Ohio State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The match was the Falcons’ first ever NCAA appearance.

The Buckeyes, seeded sixth in the tournament and ranked eight in the nation, will advance to the second round where they will face the University of Detroit Mercy.

The Falcons end the 2004 season with a record of 10-12-2. The team came back from a rough start to win the post- season Mid-American Conference Tournament and move on to NCAA play.

BG head coach Andy Richards acknowledged the importance of the Falcons post-season success to the women’s soccer program.

“The NCAA Tournament berth was a result of winning the MAC Tournament. It was our third [championship] final, so it was important for us to win. It should raise the profile of our program as well as make recruiting a little easier,” Richards said.

Despite Friday’s score, BG put up a strong fight in the loss. The defense held OSU scoreless through the first half and into the second. Just under ten minutes into the second half, OSU got on the board when Lara Dickenmann played a ball into Danielle Dietrich, who turned and sent the ball past BG keeper Ali Shingler. Dickenmann scored a goal of her own at 62:57. The goal was unassisted.

The Falcons were unable to come back offensively in the remainder of the half. Shingler had nine saves in her complete match effort.

Richards gave Ohio State credit for a hard fought game, but also applauded his team’s performance.

“I think [Ohio State] is a very good team. Our performance was one to be proud of. We made them beat us. I think we equipped ourselves against them very well,” he said.

Richards added that while some teams might have faltered after the second goal, the Falcons stayed strong defensively and did not allow and other Buckeye goals.

The team has played strong all season, despite going winless through the month of September. The squad learned from their struggles and game back even stronger in the second half of the season.

“It was a very mixed year,” Richards said. “We learned that we needed to be mentally stronger. I credit our team for the turn-around. We developed a strong personality as a team that was able to win the must-win games.”

While the team’s seniors have seen their last collegiate soccer action, the underclassmen will enjoy some time off before winter break. After the break, the squad will be back at work preparing for the 2005 season.