New book aimed at civic action for young people

With the on-going battle of the upcoming presidential election, people have been urged to take charge and make it to the polls in November.

Since the election is coming up quickly, it is time to decide on the candidate and issues that matter – but making it to the polls is half the battle. We have been urged to become leaders in our communities and to set examples. This is a time for action, not critiquing.

The book, “Going Public- An Organizer’s Guide to Citizen Action,” by Michael Gecan, a 25-year organizer for the Industrial Areas Foundation, reiterates those actions and the importance of making a statement through triumphant personal accounts of re-building what was once “Urban Decay.”

“Going Public,” shows how the determination of groups of citizens can make a difference and improve communities. The IAF strived for a common goal of cleaning and re-building communities that have been suffering and were in need of change.

This book is to serve as an inspirational account of social action and to show how patience and persistence can help one reach goals. From the first couple of chapters, that message was clear. One can go against the odds and make a change by starting groups and being aware of problems that persist, but this book’s message could be summed up in a few chapters. As it dragged on, the inspirational message became tedious and the personal accounts somewhat dry.

At this time, people understand that getting involved is important, but they do not need to read about a specific group’s success to see that it is possible. Just be aware of what is going on in your community and see what is in need of support.

Throughout the book, Gecan illustrates events with city officials and how the IAF non-violently reached goals with their persistence and patience.

This book is full of stories and reasons why people should be involved in communities, but as stated before, this book is over done. While reading, one begins to become bored with hearing these diverse stories, and it becomes overly predictable. It is well-understood that one can be proud of one’s work, but these stories are not ones that would interest some people.