25th annual new Music, Arts Festival

After 25 years, a particular couple’s silver anniversary celebrations begins Thursday Oct. 21 with various guests. These celebrations will continue until Saturday.

The 25th Annual New Music and Art Festival is open to all who are willing to participate and be entertained.

Comparitively to last year, “it’s usually fairly similar,” Adam Zygmunt, composer, said. “The pieces are different types of music.”

There will be art galleries and concerts to suit the various tastes of artists and musicians. The festival will feature special guests,such as composer Shulamit Ran and artists ChanSchatz (Eric Chan and Heather Schatz) and Mark Dion, to name only a few.

There will be forums with Ran and a concert featuring her. Ran has an impressive resume. She won the 1991 Pulitzer Prize for Music and was awarded the First Place Kennedy Center Friendheim Award in 1992 for her work with her symphony. She has also received a myriad of awards for compositions, which are published by the Theodore Presser Co.

Ran’s compositions have been performed by the New York Philharmonic, the Amsterdam Philharmonic, the Jerusalem Orchestra and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Thursday, she will give her advice to prospective musicians about her accomplishments in the form of seminars and speeches. Throughout the rest of festival, she will be accompanying other musicians and her works will be performed.

There will be a free concert Friday at 10:30 a.m. in the Bryan Recital Hall and another at 8:00 p.m. in Kobacker Hall, with ticket prices ranging $15 – $30.

Pinotage will be performing in the evening. They are a new contemporary chamber music group from Chicago who play other people’s music, Zygmunt said.

Another free concert will be held without Ran’s works at 2:30 p.m. in Kobacker Hall.

At 6:00 p.m. in 204 Fine Arts Building, an artist, Ellen Harvey, will be talking with students interested in art. Harvey’s works are video, installation and paintings. She received the New York Foundation for the Arts Lily Auchincloss Painting Fellowship in 2001. She will be showing her works at the exhibition with other artists at 7:00 p.m. in the Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery.

Ken Aptekar, ChanSchatz and Mark Dion will be joining Harvey’s exhibits of artistry. Their art will be on display until Nov. 21.

The last day will have a panel discussion on “higher art and lower art” at 12:30 p.m., Zymunt said. A smaller chamber concert at 2:00 p.m. will perform in the Great Gallery at the Toledo Museum of Art.

They decided to have the festival at the museum because, “it’s a great way to get people in Toledo,” Zygmunt said.

Brad Phalin, a University photographer, will be speaking about his experience with his photographic accomplishment “Archeology of the American Dream.” He received an Ohio Arts Council 2005 Fellowship award.

An exhibition will display Phalin’s work as well as other various artists at 7:00 p.m. in the Willard Wankelman Gallery. These will be on display until Nov. 10.

At 8:00 p.m. that evening, the last concert will be held, performed by the University Philharmonia and the wind ensemble. It does not share a lot of new pieces, Zymunt said. Uzee Brown will arrange “We Shall Overcome.”

Dr. Burton Beerman, director of MidAmerican Center of Contemporary Music and Jacqueline Nathan, director of the Fine Arts Center Galleries are hosting the occasion.

For ticket information call (419) 372-8171 at the Moore Musical Arts Center Box Office from noon to 6:00 p.m. For any schedule information, http://festival.bgsu.edu will have a calendar of events for Oct. 21-23.