Volleyball continues to learn as they go

By Jason A. Dixon

Senior Reporter

There are those games that should be won and then there are those that should be chalked up as a lesson learned.

The Bowling Green State volleyball team experienced both ends of the spectrum last week, defeating a feisty Central Michigan squad Thursday in three matches only to get swept by defending Mid-American Conference Champion Ohio three days later.

“I know that on some days teams aren’t playing up to their potential, but we never took Central Michigan lightly … I’ve seen them on tape enough to know that they fight hard,” she said referring to the first meeting between CMU. “Our team did expect to win the game and the thing we had going is we have won more this year, so we may had more confidence than Central Michigan.

“We talked a lot on Tuesday about the difference between Ohio and us and I felt really good about the team’s response to some of my questions,” Van De Walle said. “It was a wake up call for us … We had thought we were playing really well, but then Ohio came in and showed us what really well was.”

Now that everything is in perspective, the Falcons (12-8, 5-3) head into tonight’s 7 p.m. rematch with the CMU Chippewas having believed they are established contenders and carrying the burden of one expectation.

Beating Central Michigan one more time this season.

“Right now, we would make the statement that we know we can beat them, because we did,” Van De Walle said. “Only after you’ve beaten them are you allowed to say that, but I also know that the teams in this conference are playing well, usually on their home floor.”

The Chippewas are coming off a 3-0 sweep over Buffalo last week, which ended a three-game losing streak.

CMU is led by Emily Lovejoy’s 4.34 kills per game, followed by Meghan Moore’s 2.99. Courtney Kersten leads the team with 562 assists.

After tonight’s game the Falcons will travel to face Western Michigan on Saturday.

BG’s Amber Mareski, who is third in the MAC averaging 12.51 assists per game, said the team is ready to bounce back after an “eye-opening” experience against Ohio.

“We’ve definitely picked up the intensity so we can play with these higher level teams,” she said. “I feel like it’s a must win for us and it’s one that we will win, but we have to play well and we have to play our game against both teams.”

The Falcons sit in third place in the MAC’s West Division, already equaling last season’s overall win total of 12 and surpassing their four conference wins by defeating the Chippewas in the first meeting.

Van De Walle said BG’s climb back into the conference’s elite has mirrored the steady maturation of their freshmen and the contribution of the returning letterwinners.

“I’m really encouraged and happy to see the growth, because we do have a young team with six freshmen,” she said. “Half of our team is new, but I like the attitude we bring to the floor, I like their … intensity and they’re really making great strides as we try to become one of the best team’s in the MAC again.

BG will return home following the weekend the games to close out the regular season with four out of their last six at Anderson Arena before hosting the MAC Tournament, which begins Nov. 16.

“We’re thankful that that’s it’s fallen like that, because in year’s past we were on the road the last five of six,” she said. “So to have four out of your last six at home is wonderful. First of all, we loving playing here in Anderson Arena and we think this is a great gym to play in.

“It’s really intimidating when we get our crowd into it … Western and Eastern is going to be tough for us, because they’re two very good teams in our division,” Van De Walle said. “Then, Buffalo and Marshall, so there’s not an easy match on the schedule, but I’m very happy two have four of the last six at home once we get past this weekend.”