How to plan a campus event

As Promotions Director at WBGU, I have to put together lots of events to help raise money and promote the station. Events are vital in truly having a successful organization on campus; they help get the word out and help provide fun and amusing things for your members.

If you are part of an organization, I would greatly recommend that you organize at least one event just to be familiar with the process. Plus, it’s fun.

The steps in getting an event made on campus are first getting an organization to back the event, reserving the space and having the events approved, and then holding the event. Sounds simple enough, and it can be; it all depends on your methods of organization.

The University will only allow, far as I know, events that are held by some sort of campus organization. There are over a hundred organizations on campus, and you can find a complete catalogue of them on the fourth floor of the Union in the campus involvement office.

If you are not able to find an organization that suits your needs, you can always start your own. Again, go to Campus Involvement to find out all the rules about starting your own campus recognized and funded organization.

If you are already in an organization, then this shouldn’t be a problem. Talk to whoever the officers are and get approval to begin planning. Once this is done, you must once again make the track to the Union.

Once you’re back at the Union, it’s time to get the actual space and event approved. This time, you need to visit an office by the bookstore on the second floor of the Union. Here, you need put in a request for what room you’d like to use such as the Ballroom or Olscamp 101. You also mention anything else the school might be able to provide for you, like audiovisual equipment, chairs, stages and anything else you might need for your event, within reason.

Once this is filled out, you wait until the office contacts you and then put the final signature, and your event will finally be underway. There will be more paperwork if the event is open to public, needs security or will be catered. I definitely recommend events that are catered and are open to the public; people are always looking for stuff to do, and they love free food. You can also use public events to get other businesses and organization to co-sponsor for any costs you might incur by letting them set up an info booth at the event.

Finally, you have to actually put together the event. Live entertainment is always the best way to draw a crowd, whether it be comedians, bands, rappers or some sort popular speaker.

As I mentioned before, for public events, getting other organizations to setup booths is very beneficial. Doing this sets up a good relationship with the organization, so maybe you can setup a booth at their events. Having different attractions at your event makes it more interesting.

Catering has to be paid for by the organization, so getting people who want space at the event to help pay the cost takes care of two birds with one stone.

Sometimes an event can just be a showcase for members of the organization where they can speak and socialize. Whatever you do, make sure you do it right; you want to make sure the campus will approve future events.

If you want to plan events or promote your organization, this is a good heap of advice on doing it.

Remember, the more you put yourself out there, the more interesting and diverse the campus becomes. Put your tuition dollars to work and take advantage of the resources available to you.

E-mail Alex with comments at [email protected].