Dining Services adheres to students’ wishes

In response to a survey last year, dining services will now have more options for eating on-campus.

The survey indicated dining services should increase their quality on a more consistent basis, with one suggestion leading to an increase in flexfunds for the limited meal plan.

Dining services increased the allotted flexfunds from $75 to $100 on this plan.

No additional flexfunds will be added to the other meal plans, but Gail Finan, director of dining services, believes the increase on the limited plan will be best.

“Last year I spent a lot of time working with student [meal] plans, and the problem was with the limited plan and the money amount,” Finan said. “And that is the meal plan most people buy.”

Dining services also reduced prices on 327 food items this year, and will hire a chef for residence halls. The lower-cost items will include ice cream novelties, bacon, fresh fruit and french fries, among others.

According to Finan, these reductions were made based on student comments.

“In response to the student comments we felt we needed to do that, and we are working very hard to accomplish that,” Finan said.

Students eating in McDonald Hall will have extra hours to take advantage of the price reductions. The Garden Terrace will open earlier this year and serve sandwiches they usually made at night during the day.

It will also have more food options, including deli and salad selections and a rotisserie.

Dining services has also made an agreement for a Starbucks in the Union.

Students visiting the Black Swamp Pub can expect additional menu items as well. According to Finan, these extra items are an attempt to draw more business at the Pub.

“We’ll be offering a Pub burger for one thing, which I think will enhance the menu,” Finan said. “The Pub is not a well used space, and we’re trying to have more venues in there to get some organizations to come in and have wing nights and taco nights.”

Along with possible theme nights at the Pub, the Union will now have “Sushi Thursdays” to coincide with the Tuesday event at Founders Dining Hall. Dining services will continue “Grilling on the green,” which was used in the summer as a Tuesday lunch on the Union patio, through August and September.

“Pie in the Sky Friday” will be a new addition at Founders. Students will get a personal-sized pizza and their own toppings which will be made to order.

“Every time I mention that I almost get a standing ovation,” Finan said. “It seems like something students will really enjoy doing.”

Another change will affect students eating at football, basketball and hockey games. Students will have the opportunity to use their meal cards for concessions at these games.

Dining services plans to hire more employees in addition to their 700 in the wake of these changes. They hope to maintain these changes beyond fall semester.

Finan said the longevity of the changes will be based on student reaction, and dining services is anticipating the return of their customers.

“At this point we’re looking for this as to being more permanent than one semester,” Finan said. “But again, I listen to what students say. If the students say they don’t like it, we review all options. We’re very excited for everyone to come back and start eating with us once again.”