Conklin residents enjoy solitude

The summertime is generally a time when students work, party and vacation for four months to get away from the school atmosphere of Bowling Green. But for some students, the summer months are simply a continuation of the school year.

Those students live in Conklin residence hall, which currently consists of 37 students who have all decided to stay on campus this summer and take classes among other things.

Sophomore Fleny Mercedes, who currently lives in Conklin, said living with a small group of people definitely has its advantages.

“I actually like it better than during the school year,” Mercedes said. “We don’t have a [resident advisor], so it’s not like anybody’s watching us.”

While there is no active RA in charge, there is indeed an RA residing in Conklin.

Senior Rory Scarvelli, who is an RA during the school year, said he has enjoyed living on campus this summer because of the smaller, quieter environment.

“You don’t get to know as many people which kind of stinks, but it also gives you the opportunity to get to know everyone in the building better,” Scarvelli said. “You see these people every day, where you might not see the same people everyday if you lived in a full building.”

Scarvelli also said that being an RA has always allowed him to live by himself and this is the first time in a while that he had the chance to live with a roommate.

“This is my first roommate in two years and I was pretty lucky to get hooked up with this kid,” he said. “He’s a nice guy. I had forgotten what it’s like living with a total stranger.”

Another Conklin resident, sophomore Brian Roth said he has enjoyed the living situation except for the fact that there is not too much going on.

“It’s not very noisy,” Roth said. “Sometimes it’s a little too quiet.”

The smaller, quieter atmosphere has been fine for Monique Theogene.

“It’s a smaller community which I think is beneficial because you get to know the people around here a lot better,” she said.

Mercedes said that a small environment has helped bring people a lot closer.

“Everyone knows everyone for the most part,” Mercedes said.

However, Mercedes said the one negative about living on campus this summer has to do with the student union closing too early. Partd of the union close at 5 p.m. on weekdays and are not open on the weekends, which does not allow her to take full advantage of her meal plan.

“It’s not fair because I have to go out and buy my own food on the weekends, so what do I have a meal plan for?” Mercedes said. “We’re college students and nobody has the money to be eating like that.”