Achter perfect in Falcons’ victory

At one point throughout an athlete’s career, no matter what level, they seem to have a game or performance in which it seems they can’t do anything wrong.

A near perfect game, however, is few and far between and is definitely not expected from a freshmen in college.

Falcon freshmen Kate Achter’s Tuesday night’s performance, however, is as close to perfection as a point guard can have.

The freshmen, who has averaged just over 6 points and 21 minutes per game, led the Falcons both offensively and defensively in the team’s win over Youngstown State.

Coming off the bench, Achter finished with a game high 23 points. Achter was perfect from the floor in the first half, shooting 6-6, and went into the locker room leading the Falcons with 13 points.

Fortunately for the Falcons, the 20 minute half-time intermission did little to cool off Achter’s hot hand. Playing the role of sixth man once again, Achter entered the game early in the second half and sparked the Falcons on both sides of the ball, finishing the game a perfect 8-8 from the field, Achter also led the Falcons in steals with 5, and assists with 4.

Other than her team leading statistics, Achter also took on the role of floor general on both sides of the ball, applying defensive pressure while controlling the offensive tempo of the game, and only turned the ball over one time all game. And several times throughout the game Achter looked more like a fifth year senior than a true freshmen.

“The more I practice the more comfortable I’m going to become in the system,” Achter said. “It’s going to take time for to learn it, but I think slowly but surely I’m getting the hang of it.”

With only four games of NCAA experience, Falcons coach Kurt Miller was impressed with the progress the young point guard has made.

“Kate was phenomenal tonight,” Miller said. “She was tremendous offensively and made a lot of things happen with her penetration. But as a coach I was proud of her defensive intensity on the ball. I really feel like she dictated the tempo and really bothered their freshmen point guard.”

Not only was the coach happy with her performance but he is hopeful for her future as a Falcon.

“I think you’re really seeing the growth and learning curve of a freshmen point guard in our system,” Miller added. “She still has a long way to go, but I think you saw glimpses tonight of how special Kate Achter can be for the Falcons for a long time.”