Hoops gets past Bluffton

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to four games, defeating Bluffton 87-60 last night at Anderson Arena.

John Reimold led the BG attack, scoring 18 points on 7 of 8 shooting, including a perfect 3 for 3 from beyond the arc. Josh Almanson had 16 points on 7 of 9 shooting.

Bluffton jumped to an early 7-6 lead at the 16:12 mark. But the Falcons soared back, going on a 19-5 run with 8:12 remaining in the first half. They ended the half up 42-21 and held Bluffton to just five field goals in the first half on 22 percent shooting.

The Falcons opened up the second half on an 11-0 run pushing the BG lead to 32, their biggest of the game. The Falcons contiued thier offensive explosion hitting 20 of their 28 shot attempts for 45 second half points.

Despite the hot shooting, BG head coach Dan Dakich was unhappy with his team’s play.

“I thought in terms of competing, the wrong team won,” Dakich said. “I thought the harder competing team was Bluffton. Guy (Neal) had his team ready to play.”

Dakich said he thought Bluffton was the first team that outplayed the Falcons this season.

“We won because we had bigger guys and more of them,” Dakich said. “Not because of how hard we competed and that’s disappointing because we have been very competitive.”

Senior forward Cory Eyink said the team’s play was unacceptable.

“They outplayed us the whole game it was pretty clear,” Eyink said. “It’s definitely a game that we need to learn from because if we come out any other games like this this year we’re gonna have a tough time.”

BG Guard John Floyd struggled shooting the ball going one for five with just two points, but dished out 10 assists and grabbed five boards. Steven Wright scored 13, while Eyink had 10 points and four rebounds. Freshman Scott Vandermeer scored a career high six points, grabbed four rebounds and had two blocks.

Scott Bergman led the Beavers with 15 points and five rebounds, while Eric Sweet added 11 points.

After dropping the first game of the season against Depaul, the Falcons have won four straight and hold a 4-1 record. Division III Bluffton drops to 3-4 on the season.

The Falcons look to keep their streak alive on Saturday when they take on Youngstown State at 2 p.m. in Youngstown, OH.

Notes: The last time BG played Bluffton was December 5, 1949. The Falcons won that game 72-39…Bluffton head coach Guy Neal is a 1982 BGSU graduate, and played three years for the Falcons.