Falcons add Michigan high school standout to women’s basketball roster

BGSU Athletics
Brook Simpson signed a National Letter of Intent to play for BGSU’s women’s basketball team

Bowling Green announced the signing of Saugatuck (Michigan) high school standout Brook Simpson to a National Letter of Intent. Simpson will join the Falcon family for the upcoming academic year.

“We are extremely pleased to have Brook join our program,” said head coach Fred Chmiel. “She is a high-character individual who will bring more than just her basketball talents to BG. Brook is a versatile guard with great athleticism and a championship mentality.”

Simpson played at Belding High School as a sophomore and while playing AAU ball that summer, she suffered an ACL injury. During her recovery, her family moved to Saugatuck and she sat out her junior year. The 5-11 guard returned to the court as a senior and earned Associated Press All-Michigan Second-Team honors in Division 3, averaging 17.5 points, three rebounds, 3.3 assists and 3.7 steals. The Trailblazers won the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SAC) Central Division title, advanced to the district finals and finished the season with a 22-2 record. Simpson was named the Holland Sentinel Defensive Player of the Year.

“This kid is so humble,” Saugatuck coach Kevin Tringali told WZZM TV, adding her new community may not have realized the type of player they were getting when she transferred. “I don’t think people in our community understood the kind of player she is and she’s even a better person.”

Tringali told the Holland Sentinel the Falcons are getting a well-rounded person as well as a great basketball player.

“Brook does everything. From a basketball standpoint, people don’t know how good she really is,” he told the newspaper. “She is a generational type player. But she is a phenomenal young lady, a 4.0 student and … I have never coached someone with her work ethic, and that is saying a lot.”

In her sophomore season at Belding, Simpson scored a school-record 48 points which broke a single-game record that had stood for more than 30 years. She earned All-Michigan First-Team honors after averaging 26 points, seven rebounds and 4.2 steals that season.

Simpson is a multiple sport athlete, winning the Division 2 state championship in the high jump as a freshman at Belding, setting a new state record with a jump of 5-feet-10 inches. She finished as the state runner up in both the 200-meter and 400-meter  that spring.

According to the Holland Sentinel, Simpson had previously committed to Dayton but decommitted to consider other options including Kent State.

According to an athletics department news release, Simpson brings the total of 2024-25 newcomers to six, as she joins Johnea Donahue (Fort Wayne, Ind.), Lauren Gerken (Findlay, Ohio), Laila Harrison (Cincinnati, Ohio), Kristiana Kulackovska (Saldus, Latvia) and Kendal Moxey (Centreville, Md.).

WZZM 13ABC
View Comments (1)
$1385
$1500