‘Tradition is Back’: Bowling Green football releases new uniforms honoring the past 

BGSU Athletics/X

On Monday, Bowling Green Football posted a teaser on X (formerly known as Twitter) hinting at new uniforms for the upcoming season.  

On Tuesday, they released mockups on the same platform depicting these new threads that FMSN has confirmed will be worn for the 2024 season (and beyond) with the caption “Tradition Never Fades.” 

The new set comes with three jerseys, three pairs of pants and will feature two helmets interchanged based on Bowling Green’s uniforms from the past.  

With big block numbers on the front, the jerseys will also feature the BG peekaboo logo under the neck and the traditional two-tone stripes on the sleeves.  

Of course, the traditional brown home and white away jerseys will remain in circulation, but the addition of the orange alternates is what fans are truly excited about.  

“The orange is special because they haven’t worn them to my knowledge since fall of 2017, when I was a sophomore,” said Matthew Benecke, a 2020 graduate of BGSU. “And orange is such an important part of the identity of our school and athletic department; it just pops. With [Derek] van der Merwe’s “orange wave” movement rallying fans and alumni in the last year or so, adding an orange jersey just made too much sense.” 

“The return of orange football jerseys is a big deal and something fans have been wanting for years. In my opinion, it’s the program’s most iconic look,” said James Nahikian, who graduated from BG in 2016.  “When you think of BGSU Football, you think of the Falcons running out onto the field at the Doyt in orange jerseys. I think this will only add to the excitement that many have for the upcoming season.” 

Each uniform set contains a pair of pants of the same color, as well as the orange and white helmets we’ve seen the Falcons wear for the past few seasons.  

There are currently no plans to bring back the LT helmet for this season, a spokesperson for BGSU athletics tells Falcon Media Sports Network.  

Why the change? Every few years, Nike approaches teams with the opportunity for new uniforms, and this year Bowling Green was one of the lucky teams chosen according to the same source. 

As for now, the mockups are the only visual we have of the current rendition of these uniforms; however, we should be getting a look at them on the players sooner rather than later, with the only thing standing in the way being an unknown quantity of the Pacific Ocean.  

Additionally, FMSN can confirm that renderings for the new threads were sent to Electronic Arts (EA) and will be useable in the upcoming College Football 25 release on July 19.