Bonnell adds another international player to Falcon tennis roster

BGSU womens tennis recruit Lucia Gaio.
BGSU women’s tennis recruit Lucia Gaio.

BGSU head coach Mike Bonnell announced Lucia Gaio will join the women’s tennis program this coming season.

Gaio joins the Falcons from Genova, Italy and plans to major in Exercise Science.

Bonnell said Gaio’s experience will help elevate the Falcons’ performance.

“With the addition of Lucia in our lineup, our team bumps up a level in terms of competitiveness,” Bonnell said. “She has been tested by tough international tournament experience and will be more than ready to make her mark” in the Mid-American ConferenceMAC.”

In addition to her tennis skills, Bonnell noted Gaio’s intangibles when announcing the signing.

“She will bring an intensity that is going to inspire her teammates,” he said. “I think our fans are going to find it easy to root for her and she will feed off the energy they bring.”

Gaio said she looks forward to an international college experience.

“I love the idea of attending a college in an other part of the world,” she said.

Earlier this week, Bonnell announced Croatia’s Sumejja Plicanic will also join the Falcons next season, as well Isabella Norris, who will be closer to home, hailing from Westfield, Ind.