Bonnell adds senior transfer to Falcon tennis roster

Perrsyburg+native+Ellie+Hire+will+transfer+from+Christian+Brothers+University+in+Memphis%2C+Tenn.+to+BGSU+as+a+senior.+
Perrsyburg native Ellie Hire will transfer from Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tenn. to BGSU as a senior.

BGSU head coach Mike Bonnell announced Ellie Hire will transfer here and join the women’s tennis program this coming season.

Hire, a Perrysburg native who graduated from Toledo Central Catholic in 2021, played the last two seasons at Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee after playing her freshman year at Ave Maria University in Southern Florida.

She will arrive in BG as a senior and Bonnell said her experience will benefit her younger teammates.

“Our roster is going to be extremely young this year and Ellie will be able to share her college tennis experiences with the group,” said Bonnell. “After recovering from injury for the past year she is more than ready to get back after it. She is a gritty fighter that uses her smarts and athleticism to frustrate opponents.”

In the last few weeks, Bonnell announced the addition of three freshmen to the roster, including Lucia Giao from Italy, Sumejja Plicanic from Croatia and Isabella Norris from Westfield, Indiana.

Hire was a three sport athlete at Toledo Central Catholic, earning varsity letters in tennis, basketball and track. She plans to major in graphic design.

“I chose to attend BGSU because of the strong Graphic Design program and the awesome opportunity to play for a hometown school,” said Hire.

The Falcons finished last season 7-15 after a 7-6 start. Freshmen filled four of the nine spots on last year’s roster.