BGSU baseball’s Garrett Wright named Freshman All-American

Jack Rintamaa
Bowling Green, OH – Game 2 Falcons freshman catcher Garrett Wright (3) driving a ball deep the outfield at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

Bowling Green baseball freshman catcher Garrett Wright has been named to the Perfect Game Freshman All-America Second Team, becoming just the sixth Falcon to receive freshman All-America honors and the first from Perfect Game.  

Wright was also named the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Freshman of the Year and received All-MAC First Team and All-MAC Defensive Team honors this season.  

“Garrett Wright had a special first year here at BGSU individually. With this accolade, he has thrust himself into the national spotlight as one of the best players in his class in the country,” BGSU head coach Kyle Hallock said. “When you watch Garrett practice, it is not a surprise that he’s regarded as one of the best at his position. We look forward to seeing what he does for an encore in 2025.”  

In 40 games played and 38 starts in his first collegiate season, Wright led all MAC freshmen with a .380 batting average. The Massillon, Ohio, native also led the MAC, ranked 27th in the nation and third among freshmen with a .503 on-base percentage.  

Wright was the fourth hardest freshman in the country to strike out, striking out just once every 11.1 at-bats.