Show Review: “Dallas”

Grade: B

Anyone who has watched “Dallas” knows that character J.R. Ewing makes the show. Knowing that Larry Hagman, the actor who plays J.R., died before completing filming of season two in the show’s recent revival, left me worried “Dallas” would fall apart.

Opening the season with the cast standing together acknowledging his death gave me hope that maybe the show’s creators know exactly how to make the show go on.

The season premiere starts with J.R.’s son, John Ross (Josh Henderson) showing off his own evil ways, just like his father.

Just a few minutes later, we learn J.R. actually was the brains behind John Ross’s operation.

John Ross learned from the best and starting this season, he will take off as his own evil character, not just acting on his father’s wishes. I think his devilish ways will spawn off of his love for Elena (Jordana Brewster).

Most of the season opener revolves around J.R. and John Ross, but the nighttime soap opera does contain other characters and their drama, not always caused by J.R. or his son.

Elena and John Ross’s cousin Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) have a strong relationship together. Their unconditional love for each other has stood the test of time and the evildoings of Rebecca, or should I say Pamela (Julie Gonzalo).

John Ross, however, has not tried to break up the couple and I imagine season two will trend towards that direction, allowing his evil to flourish in the name of love.

Christopher still has his marriage to con artist Rebecca hanging over his head. The help of John Ross — surprise, surprise — throws Christopher’s chance at an annulment away.

Remember, this is a soap opera and the plot does consist of as many ridiculous storylines as a daytime soap.

By the end of the first season, the audience knew that Ann Ewing (Brenda Strong) kept a secret from Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy). In the season two premiere, we learn that Ann had a daughter who was kidnapped from her at a state fair.

I think it seems a bit out there, but hey, it makes for a nice, mindless two hours of television because there is no chance of guessing where the plot will go next.

The season opener also visits Sue Elle Ewing (Linda Gray) on a successful campaign trail that comes to an abrupt halt when her past from last season finally catches up to her.

Let’s hope John Ross gets some more practice at being devilish like J.R. and “Dallas” can continue after the character who makes the show everything that it has come to be, unfortunately will be only a memory.

The show airs Monday nights at 9 p.m. on TNT.