Cobra Starship, 3OH!3 to perform at Stroh

Homecoming doesn’t have to mean football games and tail-gating. Students can head over to the Stroh Center for a concert at two for the price of one.

The University Activities Organization booked Cobra Starship and 3OH!3 to perform.

Nathaniel Motte of 3OH!3 said via email the duo is “stoked” to come play at the University.

Cassie Utt, co-director of traditions for UAO, said she thought the two different performers would provide a nice mix for the homecoming concert.

UAO started with a list of possible artists and budget levels, Utt said, and Cobra Starship and 3OH!3 fit the bill.

“We have an agent that works with the bands’ agents and we got a positive response from Cobra Starship,” Utt said.

Cobra Starship performs the songs “You Make Me Feel” and “Good Girls Go Bad” and 3OH!3 has songs people may recognize like “My First Kiss,” Utt said.

“I think their songs are upbeat,” Utt said. “Their songs are songs you can dance to.”

Freshman Melissa Frey said she will attend the concert Sunday.

“The tickets were cheap so I thought it’d be cool and a group of us from my floor decided to go together,” Frey said. “We’re not super big fans, but how many times do you get to see 3OH!3 and Cobra Starship?”

Sophomore Matt Iwaniuk said he will not attend the concert because he does not know the performers too well.

“I’ve heard of 3OH!3, but not the other band,” Iwaniuk said. “I don’t really like their music.”

Frey said some of the songs she likes by 3OH!3 include “Richman,” “Don’t Trust Me” and “My First Kiss.”

“I think the concert will be pretty crazy, especially for the more die-hard fans,” Frey said.

3OH!3 will release a new album called “Omens” soon and those attending the show can expect to hear a few of the new songs from it at the homecoming concert, Motte said.

“It’s cool to be able to say we had them before their new album releases,” Utt said.

3OH!3 has toured for about four and a half years and Motte said the experience has had many highlights.

“Really just seeing people with smiles on their faces ready to party and have fun every night is a highlight enough,” Motte said in the email.

Motte said the intensity of their performances requires some preparation before the show.

“We usually do some moderate to extremely physically taxing yoga, and then some vocal acrobatics. No, for real, we stretch our bodies and our voices,” Motte said in the email.

Motte said 3OH!3 tries to make its concerts more of a party rather than just a strict performance.

“It’s really inclusive and fun,” Motte said. “Lots of sweat, lots of loud noises. Tigers, dolphins, the regular.”

The concert will take place in the Stroh Center at 7 p.m. Sunday with the doors opening at 6 p.m.

Students can purchase tickets for $25 for general admission, $35 for floor seats and groups of 15 or more get $5 off each ticket at the door.

Utt also said that $1 of each ticket cost will go to Dance Marathon.