Student Recreation Center offers free fitness classes

unknown

Casey Carson, a freshman, does the childs pose during the free yoga class Tuesday evening. The Rec Center is offering several different free fitness classes this week.

New Year’s resolutions to exercise don’t have to fall to the wayside because the Student Recreation Center is offering free group exercise classes this week.

Monday was not only the first day of classes at the University, but also the first day of group exercise classes. Every week more than 30 fitness classes are offered at the Rec.

“We were packed [Monday] and had to close the doors,” said Karyn Smith, health educator at the Department of Recreation and Wellness.

The Monday night ZUMBA class had nearly 100 participants, she said.

“They [students] might not be aware of what ZUMBA is or Hip Hop HUSTLE is,” Smith said. “[The classes] show them exercise can be fun, not boring or strenuous, not a chore.”

A pass is required to attend any of the classes after Jan. 15.

The cost is $42 for University students and Rec members, $47 for University employees and retirees, and $67 for Rec non-members, according to the Department of Recreation and Wellness website. The passes can be purchased at the Rec’s front desk. Pass owners can attend as many different classes as they want.

But every spring, summer and fall semester the Rec offers free classes, “encouraging [students] to try something different,” Smith said.

If the fitness classes don’t suit certain schedules, the Rec is still open for other activities.

“For the most part when I work out, I lift weights or run on the treadmill or swim laps,” said senior Kyle Gutek.

Gutek has led group fitness classes in the past.

“I think the classes offer a general approach to improving physical physique,” Gutek said. “They’re applicable in a home environment. If there is equipment it’s usually cheap and basic.”

Time is a common excuse for not working out, but even fifteen minutes makes a difference, Gutek said.

Gutek gave an example of a fitness program with doing repetitions of pushups, squats and lunges and trying to defeat a time limit – 15 minutes, for example.

“It’s easier to go during free time,” junior Patrick Potts said. “I have more free time this semester.”

The benefits to exercise go beyond the physical perks.

“It helps with stress, anxiety and depression,” Gutek said. “Gets [people] out of whatever groove they’re in, unhealthy ones.”

Fitness classes at the Rec are one option of adding exercise to schedules.

Smith is willing to answer questions about the fitness classes and can be reached at [email protected].

She said she is “excited to see a lot of new students” attending the classes.

“Our instructors are certified,” Smith said. “You’re getting a safe and effective exercise plan.”

For a complete list of available classes, visit the Department of Recreation and Wellness website.

“It’s great to add variety,” Smith said. “Give it a shot.”