USG holds ‘Rock the Vote’

Although Undergraduate Student Government hoped to ‘rock the vote’ at last night’s political event, students were less than enthused about their potential liaisons between the administration and the student body.

During the four-hour event titled ‘Rock the USG Vote ’08,’ a lack of student turnout kept presidential and vice presidential candidates left with nothing to do.

‘Unfortunately, I think student apathism towards USG in general might have had an effect on the turnout,’ said Nicole Fratianne, president of the group ‘Waynick and Mutgi for USG ’08,’ who hosted and planned the event.

‘We put this on so students would realize what they stand for and to increase the votes on campus.’

According to Fratianne, only around 2,000 students voted in last year’s election.

As a result, ‘Rock the USG Vote ’08’ was created this year in an effort in increase voter turnout.

But regardless of low turnout at the event, hopeful candidates still tried to advertise their campaigns in every way possible.

Banners advertising the running teams’ slogans hung from the walls as music blared out onto the second floor of the Union in an effort to grab passing students’ attention.

‘Even though we didn’t have much of a turnout, I think they did a pretty good job for the first time this event was held,’ Vice Presidential hopeful Sarah Shepherd said.

‘Jarell and I just want the students to know that we truly care about what the students think and value – without the students, we would be nothing.’

Presidential hopeful John Waynick also felt that students would make the difference when it comes to next year’s tackled issues.

Waynick said one of his and Mutgi’s main campaign themes is empowering the students to engage in who represents them.

‘As visionaries, we need to make sure that great strides are carried through to their full extent in order to make a difference on this campus,’ Waynick said.

However, for Vice Presidential hopeful Leo Almeida, making a change for the students on campus isn’t something he and his running mate Jeremy Lehman are planning, but is instead something they are doing right now.

‘I hope people realize we don’t need time to get ready to work,’ Almeida said. ‘We’re already ready to work.’

For junior Michelle Cooper, the candidates running in this year’s USG presidential and vice presidential elections made it hard for her to vote fairly.

‘I ended up picking out of a hat because three of the candidates are very good friends of mine,’ she said. ‘I think they’ll all do a good job, but the team I picked will work to get their voices heard on campus.’

‘I want the students to know what USG is doing and what they hope to do in the future, and I know the team I voted for will put their hearts into doing that,’ Cooper said.