Audiences hear a hit with Horton

Every so often a film arrives, with such a small palate it brings a surprise.

With the story of Horton and his big floppy ears, we witness the tale of the sound that he hears.

The sound may be nothing but a small tiny speck, but Horton believes it’s his job to protect.

For on that small speck there thrives a great city, full of people named “whos” which to Horton were itty-bitty.

With no one to believe him but Whoville’s great mayor, Horton embarks in spite of naysayers.

Through the magic of digital animation, Horton Hears a Who might be the first Dr. Seuss tale to finally get the proper treatment. With such characteristically oblong and unnatural shapes, the larger than life story of an elephant comes brilliantly to a rich digital life. Holding onto the reigns are two of cinema’s most recognizably masterful comedians.

As the voice of the light hearted elephant, Horton, Jim Carrey utilizes every part of his typical, but charismatic personality to invigorate the audience. How much of it is appropriate for Horton’s character at this level of a film seems irrelevant. Even the usually versatile funny-man, Steve Carell, injects the mayor of Whoville with a G-rated version of his absent minded character, Michael Scott, from NBC’s series, The Office.

Even with the typical elements, there’s always that lovable Dr. Seuss flare that never gets old. While the animation may seem sub-par, every cut of a scene feels like the flip of a page in the world of Dr. Seuss. There’s an unmissable quality seeping through the colorful characters that’s not just for children.

So when you finally see this lovable tale, consider the reasons its story prevails.

It’s not by the might of two cinema greats, but rather by memories of the pasts we relate.