Pigskins and ‘Leatherheads’ throw with a classic twist

After years of Hollywood success, George Clooney has finally fulfilled yet another dream. It was the determination to play high school football that evoked Clooney’s latest project titled “Leatherheads”. Acting as the film’s star, producer, and director, George Clooney has extended his unique vision on all things Hollywood. With a presence that looks back to the classic days of cinema when some of the most memorable movies of all time came into existence. With “Leatherheads,” George Clooney tries to capture exactly that.

The setting is 1925. The organization of professional football is desperately trying to make its way into the public’s eyes. With unflinching determination, Jimmy ‘Dodge’ Connelly, played by none other than George Clooney, is one of the only players trying to keep the game alive. As a teammate of the fictional Duluth Bulldogs, Dodge finds his potential cash cow in respected war hero and successful college football star, Carter Rutherford (John Krasinski). But, when cub reporter, Lexie Littleton (Renee Zellweger), starts to form a relationship with the handsome hero, Dodge gets more trouble than he bargained for.

With such an impressively star studded cast, “Leatherheads” holds not only a charming presence, but a classic take on the comedy genre as well. Senior and avid moviegoers will unavoidably be transported back to the memories of classic films like “The Sting” and “Some Like it Hot.” Even though its rough on the get go, “Leatherheads” eventually finds a strong relationship with the classic screwball comedies of the golden age of Hollywood. Look for dynamite dialogue between Clooney and Zellweger that is more laugh-provoking than the influencing films of the past and the comedies of today.

With such a distinct classic Hollywood fashion, George Clooney has finally found a niche that is unlike any other working star today. With an already impressive classic style in films like; “Good Night, and Good Luck”; “The Good German” and “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” Clooney gives an even fresher take on the dying memories of the past. In its sharp and inventive dialogue combined with heartfelt craftsmanship, “Leatherheads,” boosts Clooney even further into the historical spotlight of the greatest faces in Hollywood.

THE SCORE

Three stars out of four