Memorial lacks any substance

Today is the one-year anniversary of the barbaric act of violence at Virginia Tech.

On this day, a group will be protesting across the nation by having a “lie-in” of 32 people to memorialize the innocent killed by evil.

Personally, if this event were to stop here at this juncture, everything would be fine. This was a tragic event that should never be forgotten or minimized.

Instead, the deaths of 32 people are being used to push a broad political agenda that has nothing to do with Virginia Tech.

They call themselves ProtestEasyGuns. Sadly, very few things mentioned by this group have anything to do with Virginia Tech in any way, shape or form.

They claim to stimulate discourse, but at the same time call for tougher laws – as does their backer, the Brady Campaign.

Wouldn’t this be more of a lecture than a discourse?

I encourage all of you to take my hand so you don’t get lost. If I say something you can’t comprehend, I’ll spell it phonetically and draw pictures for you.

The first part of their agenda is to “close the gun show loophole.” I think this is pretty important because it is under the section titled “What We Want” on their Web site.

Quite puzzling is the fact that few of their “wants” have anything to do with Virginia Tech.

Apparently, the private sale of firearms at gun shows is bad. This allows all bad guys ranging from MS-13s to SPECTRE to obtain their firearms.

This “loophole” is such a problem that Seung-Hui Cho went to a federally licensed dealer (not a gun show) and bought his firearms on the up and up; at a place of business.

They might also want to gloss over the fact that in 2001 (the most recent year available year) Department of Justice study showed that only 0.7 percent of convicts got their firearms at a gun show.

This must be the lynchpin of the entire criminal underworld. Knock this leg out and all crime will fall.

Obviously, if this loophole were closed, our problems would be solved and no more bad things would happen.

This is about Virginia Tech, after all.

I still don’t understand how compliance with the law is a “loophole.” Seung-Hui Cho did not skate around any laws or lie. Everything he did was legal.

Maybe we should close the “used and privately sold car loophole” since cars were used to transport Cho all over the place to buy his guns.

Another complaint registered by this group, available via their talking points, is that it only took minutes for the background checks to occur.

Apparently mere minutes is not enough time when using fiber-optic cables, telephones and supercomputers to access someone’s background information in a fast and accurate manner.

We should just go back to Morse Code since that will take longer, and that will automatically make things better. God knows that we will appreciate this during traffic stops because police do their checks way too fast as well.

Better yet, we should make it so you can only buy one handgun a month. Wait a second; Virginia had that in effect before 2007.

I can really see how this all ties into the tragedy at Virginia Tech. People not involved with the shooting and the electronic age are responsible.

A final “want” of ProtestEasyGuns is a ban of assault weapons to protect the police and us. I am not sure how this one fits into the Virginia Tech picture but I’ll give it a try.

The major problem seems to be that Seung-Hui Cho used 15-round magazines in his Glock pistol. This group believes that if only 10-round magazines were allowed, things would have gone better.

All this would have done is made him carry more 10-round mags and taken an extra second to fire all those shots.

I should point out that his Walther P22 (a .22 caliber pistol) only holds 10 rounds, and that didn’t slow him down.

Maybe they hope he would have gotten a sore arm from reloading more often and just quit.

Maybe they were really just scared of the “cop killer” .22 caliber rounds he was using.

In the end, Virginia Tech is mentioned only a handful of times in their literature and response and fact sheets for the protesters.

The way the dead of Virginia Tech are being paraded around is as tasteful as using the massacre as an excuse for tighter immigration laws since Seung-Hui Cho was a resident alien.

What is being pushed by ProtestEasyGuns is an attempt to pull a fast one and slip more change in than what affects Virginia Tech.

One cannot claim that rotating the tires will help change the oil and fix the battery.